• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank account is not accesible via ATM. Is bank responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

senderm

What is the name of your state? New York

I have a money market account with a major bank. I normally use their ATM card to access the funds in the bank's ATM at the grocery store (the bank does not have branches in my city, but has designated ATMs with bank's logo on it at various places.

2 weeks ago, the ATM started to report "System unavaible. Request declined" message.

I called the bank and was advised that my account is fine, they think that the card is fine and suggested to use another designated ATM machine.

Other designated machines in the area reported the same message.

Since then, the bank did not answer my emails and meanwhile I don't have access to my funds and suffer significant losses.

Is there a way to pressure the bank and collect for the losses?

Thanks!

Alexander

JETX

senderm said:
Is there a way to pressure the bank
Yep. Threaten to remove your funds and close your account. If that doesn't work, move your money to a local bank.

and collect for the losses?
By 'losses', I assume you mean ATM fees at other machines. If so, the answer is no.... your decision to use a non-member ATM is yours.

Veronica1228

Just as a side note, the problem you are having could be for any number of reasons, and could be the fault of your bank or the "owner" of the terminal. It could be because of a change of network by your bank or the owner, or a lapsed agreement between two F.I.s. That is just a couple of examples. Someone at your bank knows what the problem is, you're probably just not talking to the correct person.

S

seniorjudge

senderm said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I have a money market account with a major bank. I normally use their ATM card to access the funds in the bank's ATM at the grocery store (the bank does not have branches in my city, but has designated ATMs with bank's logo on it at various places.

2 weeks ago, the ATM started to report "System unavaible. Request declined" message.

I called the bank and was advised that my account is fine, they think that the card is fine and suggested to use another designated ATM machine.

Other designated machines in the area reported the same message.

Since then, the bank did not answer my emails and meanwhile I don't have access to my funds and suffer significant losses.

Is there a way to pressure the bank and collect for the losses?

Thanks!

Alexander

Alex, close your account and go to a bank that has better telephone service.

senderm

re: Threaten to remove your funds and close your account

Thanks for an advice! There seem to be a consensus to "threaten to remove your funds and close your account". I can hopefully do that, but

Can I make them pay for the trouble though?

I do not have access to my funds in 3 ATMs listed on their website!!!

JETX

senderm said:
Can I make them pay for the trouble?
Asked and answered. You cannot "make them pay" for your inconvenience.
'Trouble' is not compensable.

I do not have access to my funds in 3 ATMs listed on their website!!!
Awwww, poor baby!!! Life is full of challenges, huh??
However, I do have a possible 'out' for you. Spend $100 or so bringing a small claims lawsuit against them for your 'troubles', then spend a day in the court waiting for your case to be called and presenting your 'claim'..... then see what the court says.
Of course, the filing fee plus the time you spend in court will likely far exceed any claim for 'trouble'.... but heck, go for it!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">