• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank holding car title.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntnana21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I purchased a car in March 1999 and got a loan through the bank. Went through a BK but kept the car and paid off the loan around 2004. I still have the car and am wanting to give it to my niece. When I went to transfer the title, the bank still appears on the title. When I went to the bank with the notice of discharge to fill out, the teller said I'd have to call the main office as it was so old they didn't have any records of it but were showing a $0 balance. So I called the main office (8 hours travel or I'd just do it in person). They said they were showing I still owed on the loan. BUT I'd have to pay them $50 to tell me the amount owed and they didn't have records anymore to show what the amount was for (payment, interest, etc). What? Surely this can't be legal. I have to pay them to tell me how much I owe and they don't have the records anymore to prove I owe it? Please advise as to how I should proceed to get my title.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

twizzlermind

Play dirty

i live in florida, and im not an attorney, but i would consider myself as...educated when it comes to fighting the 'man' so to speak. first i would suggest you contact your bank (assuming you made payments from a bank account) as them if they can give you copies of the payments you made to the loaner bank. then check your paperwork to see if you have any receipts, slips or invoices from the loaner bank, preferably showing the remaining balance (some invoices show this, others don't) hopefully you can find the last one. also, you could walk into the same bank again like its the first time and ask the same questions, when they get to the $0 balance part, ask them for a print out of that. then when you talk to the main office, you can have the fresh leverage. if you can't find any of the above, play hardball with the bank. call up the main office and ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, if they tell you call back tomorrow, or they'll call you tomorrow, ask for their voice mail. leave a message stating your name and phone # and very nicely ask them to call you back so you can arrange payment options. (this is a bait, as i'm sure you can tell) when they call back, ask them to give you your balance, if they can't ask them for a receipt showing you don't owe them anything. if they still can't provide this tell them they must either supply you with proof of what you owe or the title, and tell them you are not paying them for anything. if they say they can't warn them that they have 1 week to provide you with one if the above items or you will be hiring an attorney. even if you have no intention or means to hire an attorney, usually the threat alone is enough to make them more cooperative. best of luck, hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">