• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank stealing money from my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Theresa0713

Hello, I live in Missouri. I have a problem with my bank. Recently I made an error on my account, I have "free checking" with "overdraft protection" The problem occured when my bank did not record a deposit made on Friday before 2:00pm (their deadline) until Monday. Checks written were declared as being insufficient funds and $80.00 was charged to my account. Now I did not get the 1st notice in the mail until Wednesday all the while I was continuing to write checks and they kept kicking them. Some they paid, some they did not. The ones they paid EVEN THOUGH THE MONEY WAS THERE I was charged $20.00 each for, the ones they sent back to the people I wrote them to THEY CHARGED ME $15.00 each. All the ones sent back have been turned over to two different collection agencies which I found out are controlling and sending information out. I had wrote a check at Walmart, I thought it was good as I was unaware of a problem (I had not yet received the notice of a problem in the mail) When I went to Kmart they refused my check, I then went to a Video Store where they too refused stating I had a bad check at Walmart! When I approach my bank they rather arrogantly state that they will discuss this with me only on Tuesday thru Thursday. When I ask them to provide me with the documention I signed that allows them to charge me they claim it will take time and I have to pay $15.00 per hour for them to research this. This mess snowballed in a period of 8 days and so far they have taken over $400.00 of my money! Furthermore, I have a notice from our local prosecuting attorney threatning me on another. Please tell me this is not legal. There has to be something I can do.

crusheroz

This happened to my sister once. Do you still have you deposit reciept? If so that will prove when you made the deposit. I know the bank my sister used refunded all money back plus wrote a letter stating it was there error and not hers. This sounds like a MAJOR bank error and they have to fix it. Also until the bad checks are cleared up you wont be able to write a check. You may have to settle these with the collection people or Telecheck whoever they are, but the notice from you back stating it was there error should keep you from having to pay there return fees. I would also consider changing banks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">