• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank is using my confidential information without my consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Moses

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I recently went to my bank for a car loan, which was approved. The day after it was approved, I received a letter from the bank stating my "new credit card was on the way." When I called to say I had not requested a credit card, I was told that new credit cards had been taken out in both mine and my husband's names. The bank told me to contact the loan department, because sometimes "these things happen in conjunction with a request for a loan."

When I talked to the loan department, I was told that the woman who had taken my information for the car loan (like my Social Security number and mother's maiden name) had then used it and "sold" me a credit card that I did not request, did not want, and did not discuss with her at any time. The paperwork they have makes it look like I requested it, when the original discussion had NOT discussed a credit card at all.

They are being very glib and dismissive about this, but my question is: they do they have a right to do this? Can they use my information to request other credit in my name without my knowledge? What are my legal rights to protect my personal financial information? THANKS FOR ANY HELP OUT THERE.

J

janene1242

Question: How does the paperwork make it "look like" you were requesting a credit card if you were filling it out for a car loan?

Point: No business ever has the right to give out your personal info (mother's maiden name and SS#) to another business without your consent.

M

Moses

They made it "look like" I was requesting it by filling out an application in my name and telling the bank that I wanted a card, and used my confidential information to confirm that it was me making the request.

J

janene1242

They have no authority to use your information that way. I would talk to the bank president immediately. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">