• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilliepad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arkansas If one party files bankruptcy that is a buyer of property on a loan of three people will the other two buyers be responsible if it is discharged? Can the bank come after any parties involved with loan even though they didnt file bankruptcy too?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arkansas If one party files bankruptcy that is a buyer of property on a loan of three people will the other two buyers be responsible if it is discharged? Can the bank come after any parties involved with loan even though they didnt file bankruptcy too?

Yes.

In fact it's virtually guaranteed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is the OP who is paying for the house and the co-owners are not. I've mentioned a written agreement several times trying to elicit some sort of information on what the parties agreed to pay.

<tap tap> Can anyone hear me?

latigo

I am curious as to why you now indicate that there are three “buyers” of the property when in a prior post you stated that you merely assisted your daughter and her husband’s ability to buy the property by personally guaranteeing the purchase money mortgage?

Whatever, your obligation to the lender will not be affected by the daughter and husband’s bankruptcy proceedings, but it may have some advantage to you depending on how the mortgage is treated by the Trustee and mortgage holder.

I strongly suggest that you confer with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer.

Good luck

lilliepad

This is the OP who is paying for the house and the co-owners are not. I've mentioned a written agreement several times trying to elicit some sort of information on what the parties agreed to pay.

<tap tap> Can anyone hear me?
we do not have a written agreement other than the loan with the bank and the loan is in all three of our names with an "and" between each one therefore not allowing any 3 of us from doing anything without the other ones approval...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">