• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

banks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ksshin

wondering if anyone knew what rights i have against a bank who cashed a check that was mailed to me. i never received check and it was cashed by someone else??? help? both banks are giving me the runaround.. who is at fault.. the bank who cashed it or the bank of the person who sent me the check for accepting it? thanks for any help.

JETX

As I understand your post, you are claiming that someone forged your endorsement of a check that was payable to you.

Depending on the circumstances of the check, and the forgery, there are several issues to consider. The best discussion of them is on a website run by the the "National Check Fraud Center" at:
http://www.ckfraud.org/responsible.html

K

ksshin

thanks for the website but confused about ... who is the drawee? who is the depository bank? i guess the person who wrote the check is the drawer and i am the payee but the other language is confusing to a lay person... help please

JETX

"The person who is helped best, is the one who helps himself".

Here is a link to an online banking dictionary. You should be able to find definitions for all the banking terms you are looking for.
http://www.ubs.com/e/index/about/bterms.html

For example:
drawee:
1. Person or firm in whose name a bill of exchange has been made out (person ordered to pay under the bill).
2. The bank on which a check was drawn and which cashes the check to the debit of the drawer if the necessary cover is available.

And, yes, you will have to put your thinking cap on for this one... but I know you can do it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">