• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beach access rights in Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ihatedell

Aloha, I live on the island Hawaii's west side. I would like to know how to access state and county laws concerning the right of people to camp on public beaches in Hawaii.

recently private land owners have began kicking us out. My understanding of the law is that no one owns the beach here. If we are camping on the beach how can they kick us out?

can I refuse to leave?

power to the people!

mahalos plenty for any advice...

Aloha

HomeGuru

ihatedell said:
Aloha, I live on the island Hawaii's west side. I would like to know how to access state and county laws concerning the right of people to camp on public beaches in Hawaii.

**A: these laws would not help you if you are camping on private property.
recently private land owners have began kicking us out. My understanding of the law is that no one owns the beach here.

**A: you have no idea what you are talking about.

If we are camping on the beach how can they kick us out?

**A: the private land owner can kick you out because you are a trespasser.

can I refuse to leave?

**A: yes, and you can also get arrested.
power to the people!

mahalos plenty for any advice...

Aloha

**A: if you want to camp on public property, you need to determine what entity has jurisdiction over the property ie. Federal, State, City/County and obtain the proper approvals and permits etc.

I

ihatedell

beach access

Thanks for your reply...

**A: these laws would not help you if you are camping on private property.

-According to state law the beach is "public" property. Property owners cannot prohibit or obstruct the publics right to access the beach.

**A: you have no idea what you are talking about.

-This is exactly why I posted this question to the Free Advice forum.

**A: the private land owner can kick you out because you are a trespasser.

-Is this true if the beach is public property?
:confused:

Aloha and thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">