• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being kicked out of the building after losing job as a superintendent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alps99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Well today I just found out that my father, who has been working as the superintendent of the building we lived in for 11 years, is losing his job. We had free rent in our apartment as well as some pay. My father's boss told him that we have one month to move out of the apartment. We want to stay in the building because of the location, be we were told that we weren't allowed to rent an apartment in the building. We were also told that if we stayed for over a month, legal action will be taken against us. On top of this, he admits that he knew that my father would be fired months ago, but for some reason never told us. I have three questions: can we be forced out of our home with only one months notice, is it legal to no longer be allowed to rent an apartment in the building, and can he really take legal action if we don't move out within the month?

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Well today I just found out that my father, who has been working as the superintendent of the building we lived in for 11 years, is losing his job. We had free rent in our apartment as well as some pay. My father's boss told him that we have one month to move out of the apartment. We want to stay in the building because of the location, be we were told that we weren't allowed to rent an apartment in the building. We were also told that if we stayed for over a month, legal action will be taken against us. On top of this, he admits that he knew that my father would be fired months ago, but for some reason never told us. I have three questions: can we be forced out of our home with only one months notice, is it legal to no longer be allowed to rent an apartment in the building, and can he really take legal action if we don't move out within the month?
Assuming the apartment was part of his compensation as super, yes, yes & yes, in that order.

Sorry.

HomeGuru

OP, is there a rental agreement? The manager can not discriminate if you folks want to rent a unit in the building, if there is another unit available.

xylene

OP, is there a rental agreement? The manager can not discriminate if you folks want to rent a unit in the building, if there is another unit available.
Sure they can.

If the apartment is for the new super for instance.

You Are Guilty

Hate to disagree with you here, but why in the world not? Even in uber-liberal NY, "superintendent" is not a protected class (Yet transvestites are. Go figure).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">