• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued $170.00+ fees for a $28.00 check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nhammons

What is the name of your state? Washington
I'm being charged $170.30 plus attorney fees for my $28.00 returned closed account check.
I had my purse stolen on March 10. On the advise of the police I closed my checking account. I had no way off knowing what checks were outstanding. The bank said they would notify me of check as the were presented so I could contant the buisness to make arrangements to pay for the returned checks. The bank however did not notify me so I called them and got the list. The Mt Baker Ck was not on the list. I thought all was fine. on Apirl 1 or 2 I recieved a call from a collection company saying I owed $84.00 for my $28.00 returned check. I explained about my purse and that I didn't think I should have to pay so much for the check I explained that I would have paid it if I had known about it.He said they had sent a letter asking for payment. and now that 15days had passed they could charge more. I told them I hadn't receivced it and I asked to speak to a supervisor. I asked the supervisor to drop the extra charges. He refused so I told him I would contact Mt Baker and work it out with them, since that's who I wrote the check to. He said okay. I went to Mt.Baker, I explaned the problem to the counter person, she called Nick from the back. I explined to him what was wrong. Paid him the $28.00. I told him to let me know what there bank charged them to return my check and I'd pay for it. ON April 30 I was served with the lawsuit papers by the collection agency. I contacted Mt.Baker to ask why. They said they left a message with my 14 old daughter on April 3 to come and pick up the money. She didn't know about the suit, that she would let them know that she had $28.00 and give them the police report #. I contacted the attorney listed on the suit to explain. His assistant said I still have answer to the suit. They are charging me 28.00 for the check, $30.00 handling fee, $28.00 collection charges, $.30 interest, $84.00 damages plus attorney fess. HELP please

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">