• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by an ex boyfiend!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datod01

What is the name of your state? California

Can anyone offer any advice? My girlfriend is being sued by an ex-boyfriend (they broke up 2 1/2 years ago) in the amount of $45k. He's sent us itemized bills for everything ranging from dinners they ate together to magazine subscriptions, rent, living expenses, and just whatever else he could dig up a recepit for. Now he's come back and said he wants her or someone in her family to pony up the money or he'll sue. There was no agreement made (at the time) that any monies given to my girlfriend was a loan...the ex went out and either gave her money at the time or just paid for items. Now he wants everything back. Is my girlfriend responsible for these bills? Is she legally required to pay him back for what he has itemized? Many of the items on his list were things they purchased/ate/did together. It sounds just a vindictive ex to me, but she's worried. Help anyone?

divgradcurl

datod01 said:

Can anyone offer any advice? My girlfriend is being sued by an ex-boyfriend (they broke up 2 1/2 years ago) in the amount of $45k. He's sent us itemized bills for everything ranging from dinners they ate together to magazine subscriptions, rent, living expenses, and just whatever else he could dig up a recepit for. Now he's come back and said he wants her or someone in her family to pony up the money or he'll sue. There was no agreement made (at the time) that any monies given to my girlfriend was a loan...the ex went out and either gave her money at the time or just paid for items. Now he wants everything back. Is my girlfriend responsible for these bills? Is she legally required to pay him back for what he has itemized? Many of the items on his list were things they purchased/ate/did together. It sounds just a vindictive ex to me, but she's worried. Help anyone?
Well, you probably don't have too much to worry about. If he sues, it will have to be in superior court, which means he'll most likely have to hire a lawyer -- and if he doesn't, you certainly should anyway! Based SOLELY on what you have written, there is a good chance that, even if he did follow up and file a lawsuit, that the case could be dismissed based on the statute of limitations, which is 2 years for an oral contract.

panzertanker

datod01 said:

NON-LEGAL opinion:

She should tell him to kiss her a$$, and let him TRY to get the money from her...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">