• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Buy, discrimination apply here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andystocker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Hi there, I'm new to this forum! Anyway, I am a white male 33 years old. I am friends with an african american family and they have a son that is 14. He bought a Playstation Portable from Best Buy inearly August and a week after it was defective. He and his mother tried to return the PSP and they denied it saying that the device had been dropped. I went over to their house today and told them that I knew someone in management and would take it there to see if I could talk them into it. For those of you that don't know, a PSP (playstation portable) has a LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) that is very delicate and the display can become blurred or completely "frazzled" (in his case). The 14 year olds PSP showed no signs of wear and tear, still looked new except the screen ddn't work.
Well, when I went in there today I took the PSP and receipt and the GEEK SQUAD guy looked at it and told the girl to go have me pick a new one. I was shocked! So I took the new PSP out to the car, FIRST (lol) then came back in and told the same girl I wanted to talk to the manager. Well, I kinda went off on him and started saying "they had a racial discrimination suit" on their hands. I eventually apoloized to the guy becaue I made it personal against him, heck he was the one that actually approved of mine and said that "different managers on duty approve different things"...He did keep saying when we were arguing heavily "WELL WHY DIDNT SHE COME WITH YOU??" I then said "she already tried to return it and you told her no!"...
I really dont even want to tell the family about how easy it was for me to return it and get a new one, they are just glad he got his PSP back...I'm just curious as to know if Best Buy did anything wrong here and is there a law suit??

Thanks!

justalayman

obviously it could be discrimination but as the manager said, each manager makes his own decisions. Not knowing what the actual problem was (I'm not familiar with the frazzled screen you mention), if the manager believed it was from mishandling the unit, he had every right to refuse the exchange. They do mention that right in their return policy.

The boy always had the option of dealing with Sony, who is actually the entity that warrants the item.

Skyymiles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Hi there, I'm new to this forum! Anyway, I am a white male 33 years old. I am friends with an african american family and they have a son that is 14. He bought a Playstation Portable from Best Buy inearly August and a week after it was defective. He and his mother tried to return the PSP and they denied it saying that the device had been dropped. I went over to their house today and told them that I knew someone in management and would take it there to see if I could talk them into it. For those of you that don't know, a PSP (playstation portable) has a LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) that is very delicate and the display can become blurred or completely "frazzled" (in his case). The 14 year olds PSP showed no signs of wear and tear, still looked new except the screen ddn't work.
Well, when I went in there today I took the PSP and receipt and the GEEK SQUAD guy looked at it and told the girl to go have me pick a new one. I was shocked! So I took the new PSP out to the car, FIRST (lol) then came back in and told the same girl I wanted to talk to the manager. Well, I kinda went off on him and started saying "they had a racial discrimination suit" on their hands. I eventually apoloized to the guy becaue I made it personal against him, heck he was the one that actually approved of mine and said that "different managers on duty approve different things"...He did keep saying when we were arguing heavily "WELL WHY DIDNT SHE COME WITH YOU??" I then said "she already tried to return it and you told her no!"...
I really dont even want to tell the family about how easy it was for me to return it and get a new one, they are just glad he got his PSP back...I'm just curious as to know if Best Buy did anything wrong here and is there a law suit??

Thanks!
OK so you're saying that because your ethnic demographics appear to have allowed Best Buy to act differently[in your favor], that you believe there is a racial discrimination suit on their(Best Buy's) hands? The child who purchased the Sony PSP is old enough to determine that the 4.3in TFT screen is a $27 replacement via the included web browser on the PSP itself... :cool: my point being if in fact the PSP's screen was "frazzled"...hang on ??? what does that even mean? 'frazzled' in terms of a LCD's characteristics? frazzeled by definition, would actually be a preferrable when discussing one's viewing experience... but no matter, back to what I was saying, The PSP he bought, based on the time frame you gave, leads me to believe it's some variation of the 3000 model line up Sony most recently released in North America. eg. PSP-3001 for US models. I would like to know, since you were not there when the family originally attempted to make the return, how the "defect" was described to the customer service agent behind the counter... Did she tell them that the screen was "frazzled" as you mentioned in the OP? If so, I can completely understand why they would have brushed her claim off as 'careless usage' as would Sony and any other reputable electronics manufacturer. The ONLY way that the screen could become completely "blurred" was assuming the "frazzle" you claim to be a defect was a leakage of the LCD from it's enclosed[meaning sealed] compartment contained completely inside the PSP. Now, that said, a 14 year old who even owns a PSP would be the most commonly( i realize stereotypical) presumed poster of a youtube video describing the methods in which to flash, hack, and install Custom Firmware allowing the user to run homebrew, and ultimately pirated/backed up copies off a magic memory stick. Ok I realize that too is a long shot but I'm just saying. The 3000 series for instance does not allow the user to manipulate the battery compartment in the same way you could a 2000 or even 1000 series PSP in order to achieve this result, as it so conveniently sits adjacent to the PSP's LCD compartment.... Coincidence that the PSP showed no signs of wear and tear, was the fact I was getting to now. The PSP's LCD screen in fact IS delicate and Sony has manufactured these entertainment devices under the impression that their target audence(children ages 7 to 18) will make an effort to circumvent DRMs through the battery compartment. Doing so has historically "bricked"[or rendered useless] thousands of user's PSPs in the process. Not saying that he tried this per say just throwing the possibility out there.

Onto your next statement. You say that you went to Best Buy in an effort to have a 'second opinion' I'm assuming is what you meant, yet the way you wrote it here leads one to believe, since you thought knowing a manager, or somebody who works there, that you had an advantage over that family regardless of the decision that was made that you are ...here is is key word CHOOSING to base on the colors of skin. That my friend would be 'racist' lol Do you know what ethnic background the original CSA(s) they delt with were. I dont recall you mentioning it anywhere. Nor the manger or other individual that you supposidly knew. Sounds like they may have a Racial Discrimination case against you my friend. :rolleyes: I mean you threaten the manager and then you ovbiously felt guily about some personal attacks you made so rightfully apoligized...I'm just saying, sounds a little 'off' to me... The manager told you correctly, it would have been a smart decision to bring her with you and dispute your feelings about their decision together. :cool: my 2 cents

andystocker

The mom and son just told the return department it didn't work. What I mean as frazzled is that when you turn it on the display turns on but there are a bunch of different color patterns/lines/ and nothing that resembles a PSP home screen.
And NO I didn't really think I had a racial advantage to begin with. I went to high school with the store manager and told the family I knew him and I expected a fight at the store. I had my argument laid out, that how does best buy know he dropped it or sat on it? I then wanted them to show me where in the return policy it describes this (I know they can really do what they want)...then to just have them return it without anything said stunned me... I'm just explaining TO YOU MY FRIEND that thinks I'm RACIST that I really expected to be told NO as well...what sounds OFF about my thread to you?
Anyway, when they just told me "would you like to pick out another one?" Then I became very emotional, I over reacted and like I said I apologized. I'm not trying to do gain anything from this nor is the family...yes I talked big and mad, but I told the guy "really I'm just happy to get the kid his PSP he worked so hard for back" and shook his hand (after I apologized)...
I can also 99% assure you that Asa(the 14 year old) didn't manipulate the system/screen in anyway...could he have dropped it? Yes, but why wasn't I told that??
The guy told me they didn't want to become the "Walmart of returning electronics"...I agreed with him, but I told them there needs to be more of a black and white (no pun intended) way of returning things or he will have more crazy people like myself arguing...
I guess what I'm saying is this...if she would have had a hidden video camera and I would have too, and they denied her and accepted me "no questions" asked then they wouldn't be opening themselves up for legal trouble?? I'm not looking to get attacked on here either, I know what I did and who I am...I made amends for what I did, and its easy to call someone something behind a computer screen.

Skyymiles

The mom and son just told the return department it didn't work. What I mean as frazzled is that when you turn it on the display turns on but there are a bunch of different color patterns/lines/ and nothing that resembles a PSP home screen.
And NO I didn't really think I had a racial advantage to begin with. I went to high school with the store manager and told the family I knew him and I expected a fight at the store. I had my argument laid out, that how does best buy know he dropped it or sat on it? I then wanted them to show me where in the return policy it describes this (I know they can really do what they want)...then to just have them return it without anything said stunned me... I'm just explaining TO YOU MY FRIEND that thinks I'm RACIST that I really expected to be told NO as well...what sounds OFF about my thread to you?
Anyway, when they just told me "would you like to pick out another one?" Then I became very emotional, I over reacted and like I said I apologized. I'm not trying to do gain anything from this nor is the family...yes I talked big and mad, but I told the guy "really I'm just happy to get the kid his PSP he worked so hard for back" and shook his hand (after I apologized)...
I can also 99% assure you that Asa(the 14 year old) didn't manipulate the system/screen in anyway...could he have dropped it? Yes, but why wasn't I told that??
The guy told me they didn't want to become the "Walmart of returning electronics"...I agreed with him, but I told them there needs to be more of a black and white (no pun intended) way of returning things or he will have more crazy people like myself arguing...
I guess what I'm saying is this...if she would have had a hidden video camera and I would have too, and they denied her and accepted me "no questions" asked then they wouldn't be opening themselves up for legal trouble?? I'm not looking to get attacked on here either, I know what I did and who I am...I made amends for what I did, and its easy to call someone something behind a computer screen.
Let me jus preface this post by assuring you and anyone else that I am not attacking anyone on this forum, rather providing an alternative-agressive stance toward your findings. I prefer to play the devil's advocate when I sense there is more to the story so I apoligize if I offended you with my hasty reply. I'm not suggesting you're racist, or why else would you be friends with a family of another[race]... there are a million and one reasons to justify that and I am not asking you to nor am I doubting a genuine reason exists, that you are emotional towards one decision affeting both parties. You simply seem to be reasoning all too well with Best Buy to be angry about how they made a different conclusion with another customer about a related issue. How, for instance, can you prove the CSA(s), same or not, were made aware, not after consulting with a manager, but when you first asked them about the return, that the exact PSP you held in your hand was the same exact PSP that your friends had attempted to return at the previous time. Not to mention, 'barking rights' store performance leaders use to improve customer returns(not items but in statistical terms). meaning, lets say those employees you delt with jus so happened to have been briefed before shift to accept more or less PSP claims or electronics in general on either given day. Fact of the matter is because you both did not see the store and the same people at the same time, your findings are subjectable and would not hold up well in court, IMO. 99% sure does not equal 100% ...jus sayin :)

andystocker

Thank you for that reply. I agree with what you are saying. I don't know which managers were involved, and you make a good point..."maybe they were briefed before shift about not taking so many returns back"...
The manager did actually say after we "made up" that he would look into it and that he was glad that I brought that up (minus the personal attacks of course!)...

You are exactly right about me not knowing about the CSA's involved, and I see that it wouldn't hold up in court...but wouldn't you think Best Buy could leave theirselves open to lawsuits if someone WERE able to prove the same PSP was denied then approved, whether or not the same manager was involved or not (but especially the same manager)? It seems like I've seen a lot sillier law suits won by individuals, just sayin... It really, really, doesn't matter and my girlfriend asks me "why do you keep obsessing about it? You got Asa his PSP back and thats ALL that matters" haha...so I'm gonna let it go and just be happy! Thanks again for replying back, because since that has happened I've been rather emotional and I did take a look at what you said about where I stand with race. It made me take a hard look at it. I guess I can't say that there wasn't a part of me that thought, "I'll get this done because I am white" and even though those were just thoughts, it affected my actions. I still think knowing the manager a little, plus the fact that I have returned several things to best buy before, made me feel like I knew how to handle Best Buy as she really didn't have a clue about the PSP...however, it is ironic, because they are a very christain family but are very dedicated to their black heritage and we have had discussions about the kids school and how she thought there was some discrimination there, so the irony is that she left the store quietly and I blew up in a rage...after they were denied and I got what they wanted...
I think maybe I was trying to "protect" them or "defend" them somehow when they are just fine without my intereference! And maybe thats what you were trying to tell me, that "I" was the one with race on my mind, not Best Buy or the family...thanks

BL

Thank you for that reply. I agree with what you are saying. I don't know which managers were involved, and you make a good point..."maybe they were briefed before shift about not taking so many returns back"...
The manager did actually say after we "made up" that he would look into it and that he was glad that I brought that up (minus the personal attacks of course!)...

You are exactly right about me not knowing about the CSA's involved, and I see that it wouldn't hold up in court...but wouldn't you think Best Buy could leave theirselves open to lawsuits if someone WERE able to prove the same PSP was denied then approved, whether or not the same manager was involved or not (but especially the same manager)? It seems like I've seen a lot sillier law suits won by individuals, just sayin... It really, really, doesn't matter and my girlfriend asks me "why do you keep obsessing about it? You got Asa his PSP back and thats ALL that matters" haha...so I'm gonna let it go and just be happy! Thanks again for replying back, because since that has happened I've been rather emotional and I did take a look at what you said about where I stand with race. It made me take a hard look at it. I guess I can't say that there wasn't a part of me that thought, "I'll get this done because I am white" and even though those were just thoughts, it affected my actions. I still think knowing the manager a little, plus the fact that I have returned several things to best buy before, made me feel like I knew how to handle Best Buy as she really didn't have a clue about the PSP...however, it is ironic, because they are a very christain family but are very dedicated to their black heritage and we have had discussions about the kids school and how she thought there was some discrimination there, so the irony is that she left the store quietly and I blew up in a rage...after they were denied and I got what they wanted...
I think maybe I was trying to "protect" them or "defend" them somehow when they are just fine without my intereference! And maybe thats what you were trying to tell me, that "I" was the one with race on my mind, not Best Buy or the family...thanks
First off , returns denied the return first .

Secondly ,you knew someone that knows BB can take a return and find it damaged and be refunded the money BB paid for it .

Thirdly , as was suggested , if BB didn't take it back at returns , Sony would hold the warranty .

Racist lawsuit out of all this ? Not going to happen .

Oh and on top of it all ,you blew up even when they asked , would you like to exchange it . Sounds like someone out for a quick sum of money to me . :rolleyes:

andystocker

I'm not sure I understand your first and second statements there. Returns denied it first? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. No, I didn't blow up "externally" until I got the PSP and took it to the car (I figured if I made a big deal with new PSP and new receipt in hand they could strong arm it from me), lol...that was the one smart move I made during the day! hahaha...

And guys, please, please don't think I'm trying to ambulance chase here or anything like that. I have prayed about it, made amends to the guy and was just trying to see if anything like this has happened or BB could get themselves in trouble for being "grey" on their return policy of the same item. I think I've got my answer.

andystocker

I reread your post about the knowing someone that could return it and get the money back, I knew the manager but I have taken 30-40 things back to Best Buy before. If I buy a camera and don't like it I will take it back and tell them the truth, I didn't like it...I've taken full advantage of that policy before, and done it honestly...I guess I was shocked when they told my friends they wouldn't take it back...probably could have something to do with the 14 year boy present with his mom...she might have had better luck going by herself....anyway, thanks y'all for all the input

justalayman

you do not have enough info to determine if the return was effected due to the youngster being black and you white. Without any other information, it sounds like it might be possible but unless you have a lot more info, all you have is speculation.

so, rather than beating this to death, I would simply accept that BB did not accept the return for whatever reason from the kid and they did from you. since you don't have anything other than your suspicion, well, not even really that by your admission but more of a question that there was a racial motivation, just let it go.

If it was racially motivated, there is no proof and it surely isn't evident it was racially motivated. Other than that, it may have simply been how things were presented, the ages and the resulting respect that often accompanies age, or any of many other possibilities as to why they did not accept the return from the kid.

time to worry about things you know are wrong in life rather than trying to figure out if this was something wrong but will never be able to really ever know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">