• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Buy return policy issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidPR

California

I recently had a problem with spyware on my computer and called Best Buy in West Hollywood to talk to a computer tech to determine the best software for the problem. I spoke with her for 20 minutes specifically detailing the issues, and she strongly recommended a product they carry. One hour later, I purchased the software and before leaving, specifically asked the cashier if I could return the item if it did not work. She said yes and I immediately went home and installed it. I was asked to update the software, and subsequently my computer continually locked up and crashed.

I removed the software and went to the company website and determined through reading the forum page that they too are having problems with that strain of software.

Two days later, I went back to Best Buy and they refused to either refund my money or give me a store credit. I explained that the software was a recommendation from their rep and was told by the cashier I could return it. The manager stated that software items could only be returned unopened according to the restriction on the back of the receipt, and that it could only be returned/exchanged for the same product if defective (the cashier failed to explain that part). In short, I received nothing.

One last issue, the manager stated that it is a Federal Law that they are prohibited from accepting returns on software and DVD's because of pirating issues. I never heard of such a law.

Is this legal and do they have any obligations to the consumer? It is also my understanding that return policies should be prominently posted and offered up BEFORE the sale and not after (i.e. policy on back of paid receipt). There were no return policy signs posted in the software department or cashier stands.

Where do I stand on this????

Personally I wouldn't go on someone's word.....I like to see things in writing b/c obviously they can tell you anything. Sorry but you should have read the return policy on the back of the receipt(most stores have the policy on the receipt) before opening the software.

My vote says that when you asked the cashier if you could return the product if it "didn't work" was interpreted as the product being defective, not ineffective. Just my two cents.

racer72

With all the free software available on the net, why would anyone buy anti spyware software? Google Ad-Aware and Spybot, download and install both. Each will get what the other misses. And they are free!

BelizeBreeze

Where do you stand with this issue?

You stand out on the street looking in with a piece of crap software that you can't return and Best Buy does not have to take since it was opened.

Next time take responsibility for learning what products are out there.

And by the way, since you never mentioned the product name, how do you know that it caused your system failure? You don't. And I doubt it did.

Simply put, a reboot would fix any problem the software might have caused. Your problem is either in the registry or in the Kernel where virus live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">