• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big business trying to use warranty to cover shoddy workmanship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trust_is_earned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania
I had a roof installed twice on my house in a period of two months and the second roof does not meet over a dozen standards set by the company's installation guide. I even had the manufacturer inspect the roof and they only said the leak in the roof had to be fixed and a shingle that had no nails in it had to be nailed down. They really didn't do a proper inspection because the one other thing they said that need to be fixed was in multiple places. I checked a similar area on another part of the roof and it had the same problem, yet they didn't put it on there report as to fixing it. They even by passed a ventilation problem where my ventilation system does not meet their own requirements of the 1:300 rule. The company I contracted sells a lot of shingles each year because they do insurance claims. I thought having the manufacturer look at the roof would solve my problems, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am planning on taking the contractor to small claims court for the entire amount of down payment and damages from not having gutters. During the original install they took my gutters and threw them away. I've contacted over 6 companies and they can't get to me until the end of October. Does the manufacturer saying they would give me a warranty if the small things were fixed hurt my case in small claims? I can prove they didn't do a proper inspection. Also, my contract violates many of the Home Improvement Consumer Protection law requirements. It has no start and end date, no insurance information, no phone number for the bureau, and they added some items and didn't give me a new contract with the new price. One final thing about the contract, they over charged me for $1,500. If you add up the 4 items I was charged for, I cannot account for why I was charged an extra $1,500.

I picked this roofer because they had higher credentials with the manufacturer and I thought I would get a proper installation. Now I have an inadequate roof and maybe a warranty to cover the crappy work. I didn't want to have to rely on the warranty, I wanted it installed correctly.

Should I get an inspector from a different manufacturer to make a report to validate my claim or try to get someone not associated with a certain manufacturer?
I already had another roofer from the same manufacturer as my contractor look at it and he said my claims were valid, but he couldn't go against the manufacture's ruling because it would hurt his business.

One final question, if I pay an inspector to write a report and I win my small claims case, can I add the inspector's fee to claim and get that money back too?
Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania
I had a roof installed twice on my house in a period of two months and the second roof does not meet over a dozen standards set by the company's installation guide. I even had the manufacturer inspect the roof and they only said the leak in the roof had to be fixed and a shingle that had no nails in it had to be nailed down. They really didn't do a proper inspection because the one other thing they said that need to be fixed was in multiple places. I checked a similar area on another part of the roof and it had the same problem, yet they didn't put it on there report as to fixing it. They even by passed a ventilation problem where my ventilation system does not meet their own requirements of the 1:300 rule. The company I contracted sells a lot of shingles each year because they do insurance claims. I thought having the manufacturer look at the roof would solve my problems, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am planning on taking the contractor to small claims court for the entire amount of down payment and damages from not having gutters. During the original install they took my gutters and threw them away. I've contacted over 6 companies and they can't get to me until the end of October. Does the manufacturer saying they would give me a warranty if the small things were fixed hurt my case in small claims? I can prove they didn't do a proper inspection. Also, my contract violates many of the Home Improvement Consumer Protection law requirements. It has no start and end date, no insurance information, no phone number for the bureau, and they added some items and didn't give me a new contract with the new price. One final thing about the contract, they over charged me for $1,500. If you add up the 4 items I was charged for, I cannot account for why I was charged an extra $1,500.

I picked this roofer because they had higher credentials with the manufacturer and I thought I would get a proper installation. Now I have an inadequate roof and maybe a warranty to cover the crappy work. I didn't want to have to rely on the warranty, I wanted it installed correctly.

Should I get an inspector from a different manufacturer to make a report to validate my claim or try to get someone not associated with a certain manufacturer?
I already had another roofer from the same manufacturer as my contractor look at it and he said my claims were valid, but he couldn't go against the manufacture's ruling because it would hurt his business.

One final question, if I pay an inspector to write a report and I win my small claims case, can I add the inspector's fee to claim and get that money back too?
Thanks
I am not sure why you decided to start a new thread. Here are links to your two other threads that provide additional details about your adventures with roofers/contractors:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/construction-renovation-41/contractor-threw-away-my-gutters-615316.html
https://forum.freeadvice.com/construction-renovation-41/contractor-did-not-pull-permit-615574.html

If you are intending to take the contractor/roofer/someone to court for various and assorted wrongs, you might want to seek out the help of an attorney in your area first.

Although an attorney cannot represent you in a small claims action in Pennsylvania, I think a personal review - of the contract(s) you have signed and the warranties and any inspectors' reports and whatever else you have in writing that you intend to use in your case and any and all other facts - could be helpful to you at this point in time. The problems you are experiencing seem to be increasing.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">