• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill of Sale:Selling a car with no title for I am not the legal or registered owner.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcwillia37

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My live in ex was a mechanic. He had a car towed to our house that belonged to a client of his. The client was a lawyer and my ex had been exchanging services with him for a few years prior.

My ex diagnosed the vehicle and quoted the client approx $3k just on parts to repair. It needed some engine repair and it is an expensive German vehicle.

The client was expecting my ex to pay for the parts, fix the car and then charge him, like a normal shop would do. The client knew my ex was working on this at home and not out of the shop he worked at. My ex couldn't afford to front that much money on parts for the client and the client should have realized this before my ex had the vehicle towed to our house.

So after the client was told the diagnosis and quoted a price to put down for the parts he didn't have the money at that time and told my ex he would figure something out. Well time went on and we never really heard back from the client. Granted my ex wasn't the type to where if it wasn't currently getting worked on, get it out of here. I think my ex was thinking he would eventually get money. Sometime 6-8 months after having this vehicle and not working on it we started to conclude that we are storing this broken vehicle on our property and if the client comes and gets it he should at least give us a storage fee.
I’m not sure if my ex ever did or did not contact the client, all I know is the client knows where we live and our numbers and as far as I know he’s never gotten to us about this vehicle. We stored it at my house for over a year. My ex and I decided to put it in a storage unit because I was tired of having a broken vehicle on my property.

I had paid for the storage of this vehicle for a year. My ex moved out and left me with the responsibility of this vehicle. I continued to store it another half of a year when I decided to cut back expenses and didn’t want to continue to pay for this vehicle. I wasn’t quite sure what to do but I felt I was owed some type of compensation for storing his vehicle for over a couple years. Someone suggested to me that I should sell the vehicles “storage debt” to someone else to pursue to obtain the debt from the owner. Just like how creditors work. It made sense to me and sounded like a fair idea. I calculated paying to store a quarter of my personal belonging and the vehicle costs me $100/mo. So that would be $75/mo X 18mos for storing the car. That’s $1350.00. Adding to the fact that I stored it at my house for approx a year prior, if I would have charged $75 a month that would have been another $900. I sold my storage debt to someone for $700 and I let him come take the vehicle and I wrote up a debt bill for the storing fees and a bill of sale.

I explained everything to him and he knew I was not the owner of the vehicle and the situation of the vehicle and why I am in possession of it. He agreed to pay me a percentage of the debts total and take over the responsibilities of this vehicle and handling the owner.

The guy I sold it to lives some 2 hours away and said that the DOL is requesting a Notarized Bill of Sale.

So I’m not quite sure how I would put together and word a bill of sale for a vehicle I didn’t own as well as didn’t run. I looked up some bill of sale templates but none of them seemed appropriate so I have to make one and go get it notarized so I can send it off to the guy.

Any suggestions?

BL

She sold a storage debt.

Give the person your X's info. and tell this person to contact the X.

The proper way to have dealt with this is to send the owner a certified letter telling him/her to remove the vehicle from the property by XXX date, or you will utilize storage fees and the State Law for abandoning a vehicle.

jiggy78

Sounds like this guy is attempted to transfer ownership to himself.

You really should not have let this drag on so long.

You Are Guilty

However that debt is likely not collectable. The vehicle owner never agreed to pay storage fees.
"Likely"!? This may be one of those rare "black/white" areas of the law. There is no such thing as non-contracted for, retroactive storage fees.

But more to the point, if the owner is an attorney, if he ever remembers where his car is (was?), he can, with very little effort, make OP's life very miserable. Although it may be too late in the process, s suggested above, exploring the abandoned vehicle procedure would be a good place to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">