• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Binding contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmebonner

Hello,
I recently requested a bid from a landscaper in our community. When he brought the paper, he told me that to sign it meant the price would be locked in when we wanted to do the job. After reading over the paper, and finding that it said nothing about being binding or being a contract, I signed. I could not afford the labor and therefore did the work myself. He called me tonight and said the paper was indeed a contract and he may pursue
legal action. I looked my copy over and made sure it says nothing about being a contract or being binding. The only legal information on the entire sheet is :
Terms:
ALL accounts DUE upon completion of job...

SHOULD forced collection be nessecary, ANY and ALL Attorney's fees, court cost, etc......SHALL BE THE LIABILITY OF THE SIGNER.

Is this binding? If anyone would like to see an actual copy, I can fax or
email. Thanks,
James Bonner
[email protected]

L

lawrat

Basis here is did you have mutual assent? Was there agreement? If you think you signed a bid to lock a price for some future time should you decide to use them, then it wasn't a contract to bind you to the work itself.

J

jmebonner

Thanks for the reply. I believed that the only purpose the signature served was to lock the price. I never once said that I was 100% sure I would retain his services. So you think I'm safe?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">