• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bitten by flea at hotel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zephyr717

I was bitten by flea at the hotel.

The hotel just move me to another room, buy me clothes and pay my meals. I asked for compensation, they just let me fill in a form, saying it would need to go to claim procedure. After I went back to my resident country, I keep writing to them asking about the status. Now they to our employed company, saying I threaten and harass them that I want more benefit, and also accuse me blasting them on most reviewed sites like yelp. Can I assume them defamation? What result will I get?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

The hotel just move me to another room, buy me clothes and pay my meals. I asked for compensation, they just let me fill in a form, saying it would need to go to claim procedure. After I went back to my resident country, I keep writing to them asking about the status. Now they to our employed company, saying I threaten and harass them that I want more benefit, and also accuse me blasting them on most reviewed sites like yelp. Can I assume them defamation? What result will I get?
What US state? :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You've already gotten far more than I would have expected you to get. Most places would have comped your room and that would be about it. You got meals and clothes additionally out of the deal.

So I don't think their position of your demands for still more compensation as harassment and threats to be particularly out of line.

I would expect that if you sued them for defamation, or anything else, you would get exactly zero.

quincy

You were bitten by ONE flea?

I hope your reviews of the hotel reflected accurately this fact and the fact that the hotel appears to have gone well beyond what it needed to do legally to remedy your complaint.

In what country do you reside?

Your country of residence can make a difference in whether the hotel decides to pursue any legal action against you for writing possibly-defamatory reviews on review sites like YELP (the suit would be filed in your country under your country's defamation laws). It can also make a difference in whether it would be financially worthwhile for you to file suit against the hotel for (falsely?) reporting threats and harassment to your employer (the suit would be filed in the US under US laws). Countersuits could be filed in whichever country any lawsuit is filed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Incredible - ONE bite...fom a critter that could have come along for the ride from the rental car no less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">