• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bitter ex-father in law demanding money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimW5575

Hiya!!!

OK, here's my story. I was in a relationship with a girl for over 3 years. During that time, I've endured countless financial problems mainly because of her mishandling of our funds. However, she has a controlling and overbearing father that DOES jump in and bail her out at times, even though I'm pretty convinced he's just using money to control her......LOL!!!

Anyway, I was laid off from my job in January 2001. I was told by my ex that "We're just gonna have to forget your car payment this month again" (This is the second time she's done this to me) because of lack of funds. Her dad calls her the next day and says he's giving her $250 towards February's rent to help her out, and asks if we needed anymore. She says "No". Well, I took it upon myself to tell him that she has chosen to ignore my car payment and I NEED to make it. Can he help in any way??? So, he put $480 in HER checking account instead of $250. Remember, the money went to HER, not ME. That money never went towards my car, but my unemployment check the following week was able to go towards it. I had told him that I'd do my best to see he got it back in full. He could even have my tax refund.

Well, tax refunds came, and my ex told her dad she needed all of them for bills, but we DID pay him $50. Now, it's September, I've been back to work for 4 months and I have dissolved the relationship. I was never able to pay him any more.

Now, I've received a threatening e-mail from him saying he's gonna write my parents and tell them that I stiffed him, and to tell them "What kind of a kid they raised". (I'm 26 years old, BTW. Waaaay beyond the "I'm telling you mommy" stage! LOL) He wants my Bush tax relief check or he's taking appropriate action.

This was a mutual thing, not just something for me. Can I use evidence that I have of his daughter owing me??? She charged my phone line excess of $700 in LD charges, which I'm still paying off from a year ago, and she has my engagement ring and wedding band, against my will. I don't owe this man a thing. He's merely getting back at me for hurting his daughter. I even have it documented in an e-mail to her that I found stating that "If he ever hurts you he will answer to me. We'll get him somehow".

What are my options in this matter?? According to him, I owe him around $300. However, I was always there for his daughter financially.

I live in Ohio, BTW. Thank you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">