• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat deal gone bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostboat

We sold our boat through a consignment boat dealer and are having trouble getting our money from him. He has given us a small amount of the agreed selling price. What do we need to do in order to get our money from this dealer? I still have the title to the boat.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We sold our boat through a consignment boat dealer and are having trouble getting our money from him. He has given us a small amount of the agreed selling price. What do we need to do in order to get our money from this dealer? I still have the title to the boat.
US Law Only!

I dont see where it mentions he is out of the country.

LostBost - If a third party sold your boat, was there any contract? How were the terms decided regarding commission for selling the boat?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I dont see where it mentions he is out of the country.
Interestingly enough, I don't see where it mentions that the OP is IN the US.

This great country of ours has 50 states worth of laws to deal with (not to mention all them pesky territories and D.C.) THAT is why the question is asked.

lostboat

The dealer is in the great state of Florida. There was a contract with the listing amount and when an offer was made, there was a contract for the selling amount. He sold the boat in early April once the financing was approved. He actually gave the boat to the new owners in early April. He said the funds would be in his account within 30 days and we would be paid then. He has given us two checks (certified) but still owes 60% of the money. I still have the title which we both agreed he would not get until we received the money. He is now not answering his calls. Thanks for your repsonses

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">