• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewpierce80

Last year, I entered into a boat lease in Texas for 12 months. It is a time-share styled "club".

The contract guarantees a minimum of 2 weekends per month of use. On numerous occasions this was impossible due to negligence and lack of repair on part of the club. The contract says that "2 weekends are guaranteed, unless maintenence is required." At one point I was unable to use the boat for six weeks.

Many occasions I went out to the marina and the boat was in unusable condition. On one occasion the boat broke down on the water and I had to pay to have gas delivered (I was reimbursed). Bear in mind this was a one year old boat, just very poorly maintained.

In December of 2004, I notified them I would like to cancel my contract due to the issues I had been having, and never heard back. Today, I received a summons to the civil court for breaking the lease.

Another interesting note which I'm not sure has any pertinence, is that on the lease a totally different model of boat is listed, along with a serial number of "#XXXXXX". It was apparently not updated to reflect the new boat.

What are my options? Should I consider settling this (about 6 months worth of payments).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">