• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat Trailer Lights despute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevehendo34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I gave a guy late last fall $100 to hold $2000 pontoon boat motor and trailer that was in storage for April 15.

I asked him about the trailer lights now when arranging to pick it up, two weeks before the pick up date/time. He said he told me it had no lights last fall. He did not tell me that.

Obviously I can't drive it from his house with no lights 2 hours to my house.

Can I demand my $100 or should I just forget it. Can he sue me for the $1900 balance. The title was not signed a sheet of paper to hold it for $100 was.

OHRoadwarrior

Run down to harbor freight and buy a set of magnetic attaching lights. You can use them forever and not need to fix the wiring on the boat. Remember to take them off before putting the boat into the water. The light sockets have probably rusted on the old lights and the lights themselves need replaced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I gave a guy late last fall $100 to hold $2000 pontoon boat motor and trailer that was in storage for April 15.

I asked him about the trailer lights now when arranging to pick it up, two weeks before the pick up date/time. He said he told me it had no lights last fall. He did not tell me that.

Can I demand my $100 or should I just forget it. Can he sue me for the $1900 balance. The title was not signed a sheet of paper to hold it for $100 was.
You can get a set of magnetic lights for a trailer for <$15 and free shipping on Amazon. Go get your trailer & motor.

quincy

You should have asked about the lights earlier, huh?

I do not see that you have the right to the $100 deposit. The fellow did what you wanted him to do and that was to hold the boat for you until you could pick it up.

The owner of the boat motor and trailer potentially could sue you, yes. The written agreement to hold these for you implied you would purchase the motor and trailer. Whether he can win a suit against you for the $1900 balance is a question mark.

I think OHRoadwarrior offered a good solution. Pick up magnetic lights. Problem solved.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think OHRoadwarrior offered a good solution. Pick up magnetic lights. Problem solved.
The forum is weird sometimes - Even though it says I posted three minutes after OHR, his response wasn't there when I typed my response.

quincy

The forum is weird sometimes - Even though it says I posted three minutes after OHR, his response wasn't there when I typed my response.
Weird, indeed. Your response wasn't there when I posted mine.

At least we all agree that magnetic lights solves the problem. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">