• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car and 3 months later Seller has stopped taking my calls and wont send the

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dancio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? State of Illinois

I bought a car in Kansas City from a private seller, I paid cash and seller told me he would send me the title, its been three months and I have yet to receive the title. I believe there might be a lien on the vehicle but I am not sure. I'm locates in Illinois and trying to register it here. I'm 20 years old and realized I made a big mistake, I am looking to go through a bonded title process but I am not sure if they will accept me if there is a lien. If there is a lien do I contact the*lender? How do I even get the lien holder information? I have the bill of sale, please any help is welcome...I'm in desperate need for help.

Last edited:

justalayman

I'm 20 years old and realized I made a big mistake
yes, a very big mistake.

Just in case you don't have this info:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/rtopr26.pdf

an excerpt from that:

6. If a lienholder is listed on the previous title record, a lien release is required.
I would start with contacting the dmv of the state the car was supposedly title in. Ask them if they can check if there is a lien and if so, can they give you the name of the lienholder. Then contact them and find out if they have been paid (from the guy who sold you the car presumably) and if not, how much is owed.

Hopefully you have a good address for the seller.

dancio

yes, a very big mistake.

Just in case you don't have this info:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/rtopr26.pdf

an excerpt from that:

I would start with contacting the dmv of the state the car was supposedly title in. Ask them if they can check if there is a lien and if so, can they give you the name of the lienholder. Then contact them and find out if they have been paid (from the guy who sold you the car presumably) and if not, how much is owed.

Hopefully you have a good address for the seller.
I have a copy of his license, he bought the car from a wholesaler I believe and I don't think he ever registered the car. Can I sue him? Also what would be the process

justalayman

I have a copy of his license, he bought the car from a wholesaler I believe and I don't think he ever registered the car. Can I sue him? Also what would be the process
yes, you can sue him if he cannot deliver a title to you. If he purchased it at a wholesaler, it could have come from anywhere.

how much did you pay for the car? How far away from you is he?

dancio

I paid 11.5k in cash and 1.5k when I receive the title, he is approximately 550 miles from me. Kansas City to Chicago

justalayman

Come on...You're in Chicago and can't get a title?

just kidding.

is that kansas city, MO or kansas city, KS? Each state has its own rules and limitations for their court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">