• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car at one price; Dealer advertised at another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katie37

Purchase occurred in Virginia

I purchased a car a few days ago. Following the contract signing, once at home, I looked up the car on truecar.com. The advertisement stated that I was guaranteed savings of $2,202 on the same model and trim that I bought as well as an extra $458 ($358 off the options on the car and $100 for being a AAA member). I've read that per the Consumer Protection Act, dealerships are required to uphold advertised prices. Do I have sufficient justification to expect them to stand by the advertisement on TrueCar? I have emailed them three times, but have received no response.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Purchase occurred in Virginia

I purchased a car a few days ago. Following the contract signing, once at home, I looked up the car on truecar.com. The advertisement stated that I was guaranteed savings of $2,202 on the same model and trim that I bought as well as an extra $458 ($358 off the options on the car and $100 for being a AAA member). I've read that per the Consumer Protection Act, dealerships are required to uphold advertised prices. Do I have sufficient justification to expect them to stand by the advertisement on TrueCar? I have emailed them three times, but have received no response.
You didn't purchase the car through truecar...

katie37

I read somewhere that even if you didn't know about the ad until after the sale, this rule could apply, though I'm not a lawyer (hence the reason I'm here!)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I read somewhere that even if you didn't know about the ad until after the sale, this rule could apply, though I'm not a lawyer (hence the reason I'm here!)
You have to purchase the vehicle through truecar.com to get that pricing.

quincy

A dealership can be held to their own advertised prices but not to the prices advertised by others - otherwise there would be no competition between businesses because they would all have to sell items at the same price. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">