• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car...... then found out it was wrecked!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creekdog2000

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I bought a used car from a dealership in town. The car had 9,000 miles on it. We ran a carfax, which came back clean. I asked the dealer if it had been wrecked because something looked out of place. He said that it had never been wrecked and that I was worrying over nothing. A week later I called back and toled him that I'm pretty sure it had been wrecked. He said that the carfax was clean and the car was in perfect condition.

Fastforward 6 months. I try to trade in the car. I took it to a different dealership to trade it in. They looked at it and showed me that the WHOLE FRONT END had been replaced. The rear end and axles were from a junk yard! Do I have a case against the original dealership or not. Thanks!

teflon_jones

Based on your post, you have no case against them. You should have had the car checked out by an independent shop prior to purchasing it, especially if you noticed something wasn't right!

JETX

creekdog2000 said:
So once again the consumer is screwed and the dealership has no accountability.
Or more accurately.... the 'consumer' doesn't take reasonable steps to protect themselves.....
This could have been resolved very simply:
1) If the dealer tells you had never been in an accident, simply ask them to put it in writing, and/or
2) Take the vehicle to a local mechanic and have it inspected.

You didn't take EITHER reasonable step... even though you suspected it had been in an accident. We can't protect you from your own stupidity!!

periwinkle20

Damage disclosure

Hi,

I know in my state when a car is bought/sold a damage disclosure statement must be filled out and signed. You might want to look and see if your state requires it. Long shot, but worth a try.

JETX

periwinkle20 said:
I know in my state when a car is bought/sold a damage disclosure statement must be filled out and signed. You might want to look and see if your state requires it. Long shot, but worth a try.
And exactly what does your state have to do with any of this??
Unless you are actually providing ACCURATE, FACTUAL advice to the writer, your post is useless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">