• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a car without smog (California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gsok

California

A year ago I bought a car. I obtained a pink slip and I signed and sent in a release of liability form. However, I was never able to get the car registered and smogged because the car broke down shortly after. Recently, the repairs on my car are done and is on the road. I went to get it smogged, but it didn't pass. However, he never gave me a smog certificate nor did he smog it 90 days prior to selling it to me. (I know he didn't smog it because if it was, I wouldn't need to smog it to get it registered in the first place.)

What I'm asking is: Is the seller still responsible for the car to pass smog even though the Release Of Liability was sent in?

FlyingRon

Normally the seller would be responsible if he sold without smog and the buyer couldn't get it registered. However, the fact you let a year go by and operated the car illegally in the interim may have given up your opportunity to pursue him over the matter. Two years would be an outright bar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">