• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought contracts and billing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confussious

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was a member of an exercise gym that recently closed their doors. I recently received a bill in the mail from a different gym I never heard of. I called to dispute the bill, but was told that they bought out contracts from old gym and that they should get paid for that. The bill I received was in the amount of $19.98. and now they tell me I owe $37 something and they aren't going to cancel the contract until they receive payment. I was never informed or anything else until I received the bill in the mail. I said I wanted to see a copy of this contract they are holding me to, and was told they would get it in the mail. What are my choices in the matter or do I have any???? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds to me like you owed a balance when the gym closed. I would offer to pay that balance.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was a member of an exercise gym that recently closed their doors. I recently received a bill in the mail from a different gym I never heard of. I called to dispute the bill, but was told that they bought out contracts from old gym and that they should get paid for that. The bill I received was in the amount of $19.98. and now they tell me I owe $37 something and they aren't going to cancel the contract until they receive payment. I was never informed or anything else until I received the bill in the mail. I said I wanted to see a copy of this contract they are holding me to, and was told they would get it in the mail. What are my choices in the matter or do I have any???? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Your choices?

First there is the need to know whether or not you were actually indebted to the "exercise gym" before it closed its doors.

In other words, did it actually provide the agreed upon services for which you were charged the $19.98?

It is entirely conceivable that the $19.98 represents an accrual of dues accruing after the gym ceased to function. But since you seem to be avoiding the issue, my guess is that you weren't current in your commitment at the time it shut its doors and the money was then owed.

confussious

I was paid up, I didn't realize it was a possible issue, and not skirting around it. The former gym did automatic billing to the credit card. The new gym sent bill in the mail. The old gym apparently closed at the end of October of this year, and the bill was dated 11/20/14. and it is now $37.xx because it is now December almost 20th

Last edited:

latigo

I was paid up, I didn't realize it was a possible issue, and not skirting around it. The former gym did automatic billing to the credit card. The new gym sent bill in the mail. The old gym apparently closed at the end of October of this year (?) , and the bill was dated 11/20/14. and it is now $37.xx because it is now December almost 20th
How do you justify stating that you were "paid up" when you admittedly don't know the date when the old gym closed its doors? An occurrence that shouldn't be too difficult to substantiate.

FarmerJ

curious, were you notified by the original contract holder , the club you signed the new contract holder right at the time the old place closed up that someone else was going to take it over and who was going to be the new provider ? ( where you could go to work out?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">