• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a lemon not covered by lemon law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ithnkthr4iam360

What is the name of your state? New York

I bought a 1996 Ford Taurus (I know ... dumb move being that they're famous for their transmissions going, but I didn't know it at that time). I had the car for two weeks when the front right tire blew. I was stranded on the highway when I realized the jack that was in the trunk was broken and the spare was low on air. Thankfully, a stranger pulled over and helped me out. Two days later, the transmission went and I was stranded once again. This time I had to have the car towed ($58.00). I'd heard sometimes the tranny works when the car has cooled down, so the next day, I tried to drive it from the shop it was towed to, but it wouldn't move, so I had to have it towed back to the dealer ($140.00). I needed a car to get back and forth to school, so I put my old car on the road (it was in an accident with a smashed hood and was the reason I bought a new car). I had to pay over $200 to put it back on the road. Here it is three weeks later and they're still not done fixing the Ford Taurus. I don't even want the car, since they're famous for the tranny's going two and three times. The car has 144,000 miles, so it's not covered by the lemmon law (if it was, I would be entitled to a refund, since they've had the car over 15 days). Do I stand a chance of getting my money refunded in small claims court? They claim they fixed the car, but I don't trust them (they even made me pay an additional $300 for partial payment of the repairs, which I now know they weren't allowed to do since they didn't include partial payments for repair in the warranty). Any tips on winning in court? What started out as a $1,495 car ($1,700 after taxes and registration) has turned into a $2,400 rip off (and counting). Am I just out of luck on this one or do I stand a chance of getting my money back in small claims court?

seniorjudge

Was there a warranty with this car (and, as a former Taurus owner who greatly sympathizes with you, I am using that term lightly)?

ithnkthr4iam360

There was a thirty day warranty, and I brought the car back two weeks after I bought it (so it was still under warranty). They kept it for three weeks and now they're telling me there is no longer a warranty on the car. I looked up the law and it said all used cars sold by dealers must have a User's Guide posted on the car. If no User's Guide is posted, they will be issued an $11,000 fine for EACH violation. There was no user's guide posted on any of their cars. When I mentioned this to them, they no longer spoke to me in a cold tone but a kind one, telling me my car would be ready by Saturday. Thing is ... I don't want the boat anchor they call a car!

ithnkthr4iam360

I just wonder if I will lose, since they call themselves having "fixed" it. I think they're going to make me keep the car. If they do and it breaks down again, they're not required to fix it, are they? Or is it only if it breaks down within a certain time frame?

Zephyr

ithnkthr4iam360 said:
I just wonder if I will lose, since they call themselves having "fixed" it. I think they're going to make me keep the car. If they do and it breaks down again, they're not required to fix it, are they? Or is it only if it breaks down within a certain time frame?

the repairs they perform should come with their own warranty (12 months/12,000 miles) over and above the inital 30 day warranty on the entire car, verify this before leaving the shop

T

Trucking Mad

Receipts!

:rolleyes: You have your purchase date? You have your purchase date?, oh I already said that. You have your 1st & 2nd tow bill?, You have your 1st & 2nd tow bill?..oops said that twice too!
TAKE THEM TO COURT!**************..SOME ELSE SAID THAT, TWICE!!! :cool:
There you have it! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">