• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought motorcycle with lien holder....problems..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bartbrooklyn

hello, I bought on 25th May Harley Davidson 2009 from the guy in New Jersey (Dover - Morris County). The guy told me that he has still lien holder on the bike, and I left him $9500 cash ( stupid thing, I know) , he signed bill of sale and paper where he confirmed that he took money. Now, is third month and he told me every week that he is going to get the title ,and that he paid off the loan and the problem was that he has two lien holders (is it possible to have two lien holders for one bike ??). I called NJ DMV and gave them the VIN number and they told me that there is lien holder on the bike. The guy is still lying to me, I was at his parents hous two times, his father called him because he didnt pick up the phone from me and he was giving me bull**** about the title - two lien holders, he paid off the bike etc etc... I asked him for the lien holder name and he didnt give the name of the bank... I wanted call or visit the bank with the bill of sale and ask what is going on... Right now I will go ti\o the Dover Police Station with all emails from him, papers etc and tell about that situaion. What do you think ?? is it possible to get my money back or to get tittle of the bike?? Can the bank took motorcycle from me and then I would loss money and bike ? Police will help me?? Arrest the guy ? According to me he stole my money .. please help me out... I dont know what to do,

jiggy78

You will probably end up having to sue this person if they do not return the money. (which is probably gone by now). Paying a lawyer a few hundred bucks to write a strongly worded letter might not be a bad idea either.

swalsh411

Learn your lesson???

As already stated you will probably end up needing to sue this person who very well may have not sufficient assets to collect.

bartbrooklyn

Assuming that I will sue the guy.., I will win in the court and the guy will tell that he doesnt have money and he wants pay off me - and judge will tell that he can pay like $100 per week and the motorcycle must be given back to the lien holder so I dont know what to do, can I sell the bike for parts or sell to somebodyelses without title, only with papers from the guy who sold me bike ?? I dont know if there is any chance to get back my $9500 ??

Indiana Filer

Assuming that I will sue the guy.., I will win in the court and the guy will tell that he doesnt have money and he wants pay off me - and judge will tell that he can pay like $100 per week and the motorcycle must be given back to the lien holder so I dont know what to do, can I sell the bike for parts or sell to somebodyelses without title, only with papers from the guy who sold me bike ?? I dont know if there is any chance to get back my $9500 ??
You can't sell the bike. You don't have the title.

Hopefully, if you sue the guy, you will win. Then you get to pursue him for the money he owes you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">