• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought a new SUV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SalemaG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My husband and I purchased a new SUV on May 17, 2014. The price stated on the contract is different from the listed price..when I asked the finance manager about it, he stated the difference was due to fees. The difference is $800 and the break down of fees is no where on the contract. I went back the following day and he couldn't give me an accurate break down of fees. I noticed that the dealer didn't sign my copy of the contract and on the top of the contract it states: THIS CONTRACT ISNT BINDING UNLESS SIGNED BY THE SELLER AND THE BUYER.. I want the vehicle, but I just want an explanation as to the additional $800. My questions are, 1. Do I have a legitimate small claims although my husband signed the contract and 2. Would their missing signature help me if I did take them to court?? Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband and I purchased a new SUV on May 17, 2014. The price stated on the contract is different from the listed price..when I asked the finance manager about it, he stated the difference was due to fees. The difference is $800 and the break down of fees is no where on the contract. I went back the following day and he couldn't give me an accurate break down of fees. I noticed that the dealer didn't sign my copy of the contract and on the top of the contract it states: THIS CONTRACT ISNT BINDING UNLESS SIGNED BY THE SELLER AND THE BUYER.. I want the vehicle, but I just want an explanation as to the additional $800. My questions are, 1. Do I have a legitimate small claims although my husband signed the contract and 2. Would their missing signature help me if I did take them to court?? Thanks!
I'll betchya their copy is signed ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Who is on the title? Did you sign the contract or not?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
New vehicles generally do not have titles, they are sold on a bill of sale. Then a title application is submitted to the state agency that handles such matters.
And there would be an owner listed on the title or on the memorandum when it is issued. I am trying to determine since hubby is on the contract if she has any standing to do anything regarding this SUV.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be more clear, perhaps the question better asked is: Whose name(s) was(were) included on the application for title? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">