• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought Used Car with Extended Warranty - Want a Refund & 2nd Set of Keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny_debt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York. I recently purchased a used car and they sold me a extended warranty. I noticed two days later that the extended warranty was not worth it. I decided on getting a refund on the extended warranty. The extended warranty is from GWC warranty and they have a 30 day grace period from when the warranty is sold to grant a full refund for cancellation.

I requested a refund for GWC extended warranty within a week. GWC warranty requires that I fill out a cancellation form, give it to the dealership which sold me the warranty and they would then fax it in. I filled out the form within a week from the purchase of the warranty and sent it to the dealership.
Fast forward 4 weeks now and I have not received the refund on the extended warranty. I called GWC and they told me that they only received an application for extended warranty, they have not received either the cancellation form or the funds for the purchase of the warranty. I call the dealership and they said they had faxed in the cancellation form and that the refund would be paid towards the principal of my auto loan. What the dealership and GWC tell me do not align. I feel like the dealership is trying to scam me.

Every time I call the dealership they give me the run around, telling me that they faxed in the cancellation form. However GWC warranty has not received either the cancellation or the funds.

When I purchased the car I was also promised a 2nd set of keys. It has been over a month and they still have not been able to get me the 2nd set of keys. They constantly tell me that they are working on it but I have yet to see any proof of them trying to get a second set of keys.

What are my options? Do I need to hire a lawyer that specializes in auto dealer fraud to get this resolved? Should I file a police report?

Last edited:

tranquility

No police report and don't start thinking about fraud. Write a letter to the dealer and send it certified with return receipt and explain the situation to them in detail. In the letter also demand written assurances the warranty was cancelled and you will be refunded the funds and give them a reasonable amount of time to respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">