• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought a used car with lots of unknown problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Katie4730

What is the name of your state? california. on 2-6-03 i purchesed a used car from a guy who deals cars. i have only driven the car a couple of times it had some problems that i wanted him to check out so he took the car to his mechanic and his mechanic said that i had blown a hose that caused the water pump to break and that it has a blown head gasket. so i took it to a mechanic of my choice to see what he says. he said it needed to be flushed out so he could see what was going on. the next day he said that i needed a new water pump because this one was leaking, when he flushed it he said that someone had put some kind of stop leak in the radiator, which of course would hide the problem of a leaking water pump. he also said that the car has no life left on the struts so it needs a new waterpump(appox $350-$400),struts(approx$550-$600), and all the windows dont roll down, which the person who sold me the car said he would have fixed. I am not sure what to do. do i keep the car pay to have it fixed and then sue him for the money of repairs or should i just sue for the price i paid for the car and return the car?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Katie4730 said:
What is the name of your state? california. on 2-6-03 i purchesed a used car from a guy who deals cars. i have only driven the car a couple of times it had some problems that i wanted him to check out so he took the car to his mechanic and his mechanic said that i had blown a hose that caused the water pump to break and that it has a blown head gasket. so i took it to a mechanic of my choice to see what he says. he said it needed to be flushed out so he could see what was going on. the next day he said that i needed a new water pump because this one was leaking, when he flushed it he said that someone had put some kind of stop leak in the radiator, which of course would hide the problem of a leaking water pump. he also said that the car has no life left on the struts so it needs a new waterpump(appox $350-$400),struts(approx$550-$600), and all the windows dont roll down, which the person who sold me the car said he would have fixed. I am not sure what to do. do i keep the car pay to have it fixed and then sue him for the money of repairs or should i just sue for the price i paid for the car and return the car?

My response:

Did the car come with a warranty of any type?

IAAL

K

Katie4730

no, the car was sold as is, but my question is what is my right in this cituation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Katie4730 said:
no, the car was sold as is, but my question is what is my right in this cituation.

My response:

Then, in this situation, your rights can be found in the legal maxim called "Caveat Emptor."

In other words, you screwed yourself.

IAAL

JETX

"the car was sold as is"
*** That pretty much explains your 'rights'. Simply, you have no claims against the seller.

K

Katie4730

so i have no legal rights in this cituation. i just have to take the loss.

K

Katie4730

yes i do know what "as is" means, but does that mean that you can sell a car to someone "as is" and not tell them that it needs major work done in order to drive it, when that person selling that car to you tells you that it is a good car and that there is nothing wrong with it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Katie4730 said:
yes i do know what "as is" means, but does that mean that you can sell a car to someone "as is" and not tell them that it needs major work done in order to drive it, when that person selling that car to you tells you that it is a good car and that there is nothing wrong with it.

My response:

Yes. Please look up Caveat Emptor. You failed to have the car inspected BEFORE you bought it. Whatever he told you about the car, e.g. "it's a great car" or "it's a good car" and "there's nothing wrong with it" is called "puffing" in the law, and is not actionable.

If you wanted to know about the car, you should have taken it to a mechanic before you put your money on the table.

By the way, it means "Let the buyer beware."

And, you weren't.

IAAL

crusheroz

Also you can save alot of money if you buy the parts at a Parts Store and install them yourself, or have a family member install them. Depending on the type of car you have a water pump isnt to much money. I just bought a water pump for 60.00 (lifetime warrenty) for my hubbys car. Struts are about 100.00 a pair. Also if someone put stop leak in the radiator there is a chance you do have a blown head gasket. The radiator keeps the engine from over heating. Again, if you know a Mr. Goodwrench that isnt a costly job either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">