• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundaries of freedom of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tom741

Hello,

I'm writing an essay on Freedom of contract as the main principle in Contract Law.

The major issue that interests me is how much or to what extent a state may restrict one's ability and right to make a contract on whatever he/she likes and on conditions he/she prefers.

Although there are some theories threatening the principle as absolute, it is nowadays agreed that the should be some limits of the principle in order to guarantee a health, safety etc. But where are the boundaries of state legislation, where it begins to interfere with the freedom?
Why someone should protect me against my own will?.......(I cannot give you the full list of questions, the answer to which I'm searching)

If you have some ideas on this or can recommend any literature (especially on the Internet) I'll be really thankful for you help.

Tom
([email protected]) Lithuania

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Since you failed to mention any particular State that you might have had an interest in, I can only presume you want a generalized study of American Contract law.

Therefore, I would suggest the following books :

1. Restatement of Contracts

2. American Jurisprudence (AmJur).

You can locate these books and volumes in your local law school library.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">