• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Agreement with Employment Recruiter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Springerou812

Nebraska. I had entered an agreement with a recruiter to have him market myself and find me a job, I paid his $995 fee through Paypal. According to the agreement the recruiter was supposed to give me updates of activities he had performed on my behalf at 10-20-30 days. I never received updates, the only time he contacted me was when I filed a dispute with Paypal. Paypal ruled in my favor and refunded my money due to his breach of contract. The recruiter is now threatening to sue me and contact my present employer that I was looking for a different job. What should I do?

Antigone*

Nebraska. I had entered an agreement with a recruiter to have him market myself and find me a job, I paid his $995 fee through Paypal. According to the agreement the recruiter was supposed to give me updates of activities he had performed on my behalf at 10-20-30 days. I never received updates, the only time he contacted me was when I filed a dispute with Paypal. Paypal ruled in my favor and refunded my money due to his breach of contract. The recruiter is now threatening to sue me and contact my present employer that I was looking for a different job. What should I do?
Don't do anything. If your employer asks if you were looking for other employment, tell the truth. Ignore the scammer.

Springerou812

Thank you for your response. I realize just because Paypal refunded my money doesn't mean he can't still attempt to sue me. Given the small amount of information I have given here does he have a chance in court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your response. I realize just because Paypal refunded my money doesn't mean he can't still attempt to sue me. Given the small amount of information I have given here does he have a chance in court?
At this point, given only the information you have provided, I would say he would have an excellent chance at prevailing in court against you.

OHRoadwarrior

Tell the truth. You bought something via Paypal. The seller never delivered it. When you disputed the purchase, the seller said they were a recruiter and threatened to make trouble for you, with your employer, unless you dropped the dispute. I would assume you have an online professional resume at the appropriate professional web site most people use.

Springerou812

At this point, given only the information you have provided, I would say he would have an excellent chance at prevailing in court against you.
Really? He stated in his contract that he would give me updates at specified days in the agreement, he never did. When I attempted contact him I would only get his voice mail, he would never call me back. I would send Emails and ask specific questions which he would not answer. It may come across that I was disputing the charge only because he did not find me a job but that couldn't be further from the truth, I disputed the charge because I felt like once he had my money all of the sudden he was very unresponsive.

Zigner

Really? He stated in his contract that he would give me updates at specified days in the agreement, he never did. When I attempted contact him I would only get his voice mail, he would never call me back. I would send Emails and ask specific questions which he would not answer. It may come across that I was disputing the charge only because he did not find me a job but that couldn't be further from the truth, I disputed the charge because I felt like once he had my money all of the sudden he was very unresponsive.
Read my reply. My reply was based only on what you told us...we don't have all the details - and I'm sure that the other party has proof that he sent updates via email ;)

Springerou812

Tell the truth. You bought something via Paypal. The seller never delivered it. When you disputed the purchase, the seller said they were a recruiter and threatened to make trouble for you, with your employer, unless you dropped the dispute. I would assume you have an online professional resume at the appropriate professional web site most people use.
I knew he was a recruiter, that's why I contacted him for his services. When I felt he breached his contract is when I disputed the charge. Yes, I do have a professional resume on line, not the one the recruiter rewrote for me though since it was full of errors.

Springerou812

Read my reply. My reply was based only on what you told us...we don't have all the details - and I'm sure that the other party has proof that he sent updates via email ;)
I appreciate your help, I know it's tough to answer these questions with the limited amount of information given. I kept a very concise timeline which includes all Emails and any dialogue from phone calls, if he had updates he never shared them with me.

OHRoadwarrior

OK, I'm going to be patient and lay this out again, because I like innocent victims.

The recruiter calls your boss. Says "hey, I want you to know Joe is looking for another job. He hired me to find one."

Boss says "hey Joe, whats up with this thing I hear you are looking for another job?"

Joe says "oh that recruiter guy that scammed me called you to complain like he threatened. He ripped me off on a Paypal purchase. When I contested it, he said he was a professional recruiter and would call my boss, claiming I hired him to find me a new job, if I disputed the Paypal charge. I guess he really did find my resume on XXXXXX XX. Do you have your resume on your profile their also? I'm not linked to you."

Zigner

OK, I'm going to be patient and lay this out again, because I like innocent victims.

The recruiter calls your boss. Says "hey, I want you to know Joe is looking for another job. He hired me to find one."

Boss says "hey Joe, whats up with this thing I hear you are looking for another job?"

Joe says "oh that recruiter guy that scammed me called you to complain like he threatened. He ripped me off on a Paypal purchase. When I contested it, he said he was a professional recruiter and would call my boss, claiming I hired him to find me a new job, if I disputed the Paypal charge. I guess he really did find my resume on XXXXXX XX. Do you have your resume on your profile their also? I'm not linked to you."
So, you're suggesting that the OP lie.

Springerou812

I've had one member state that they thought the recruiter would have a good chance in court collecting his fee. What does anyone else think?

Zigner

I've had one member state that they thought the recruiter would have a good chance in court collecting his fee. What does anyone else think?
To be clear, my response was based on the limited (at the time) information you had given.

Springerou812

To be clear, my response was based on the limited (at the time) information you had given.
OK, I understand. :) So for the recruiter to have a case he would need to prove that he performed to the standard of the agreement? ie: communicating updates?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">