• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vundevar

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I'm an author who signed with a publisher back in Oct. of last year- 2002. My book was released in Feb. 2003, and according to my contract, I receive royalties the first week of March and the first week of August of every year. I received no royalties in March, although I knew personally of a few sales between Feb. and March, but let it go as I didn't think it mattered that much. Now, six months later, the publisher stated on their message board that all author royalties had been mailed out on August 28th of this year, but again, I haven't seen a check from them. I wrote them to ask if they still had my correct address and explained how I had received no royalties, even though other authors had posted on their board that they had received theirs already, but as usual when it comes to royalty questions, they do not return word or give any reason. This is not due to non sales, because I myself have bought quite a few, as well as friends and family members. My ratings at the major online bookstores also show the book to be doing well. I did come to find out on the Preditors and Editors page that many authors had complained about this particular publishing house, and there is a warning stating: 'Strongly Not Recommended' for authors. Because they won't pay me, or give explanation why, is there any legal course I can take to get my money, or out of my seven year contract with them, or both, without spending $10, ooo dollars for a good contract lawyer?
Thank you for your time, and good day.
Stephen R. Foster

JETX

First and foremost, what did they say when you contacted them with these questions in WRITING??? and delivered by Certified mail RRR.

V

Vundevar

I haven't as yet contacted the publisher by snail-mail, but through some good advise from a friend, I will do so and await a response. I will keep posting about this problem, whether I receive an answer or not from them, and hopefully find the right avenue to follow to protect my rights, as well as the rights of other authors who have dealings with this not so reputable publishing house.
Thank you well for your response, and good day,
Stephen R. Foster

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">