• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotflash

What is the name of your state? Florida

Recently my husband and I rented a 37 foot 2002 coachman santara motor home for one week. Three of my best girlfriends and I and 5 children headed to Alabama to drop the kids off at swim camp and we proceeded on for five fun filled girly days of camping, shopping, etc. We had so many problems with the motor home to include the jack coming down while we were driving, the door had trouble locking, the ciruit breaker for the air conditioner kept popping which the reset was on the outside of the motor home. We finally figured out that nothing could be plugged in or the tv could not be opererated while driving down the road if we wanted AC. The children had nothing to entertaine themselves with which was a major reason we rented this motor home. Since we had to solicit help from a passer byer to sledge hammer the jack back in place so the horrible warning buzzzer in the dash would stop..not to mention the safety issue of having the jack come down in the first place while driving, we were unable to use the slideout in fear of not being able to reset the jacks and be stranded at the campsite. The lights were inop over the drivers dash, the carpets were dirty and coffee stains were all over the dash when we received it. It was the first time I ever rented a motor home and was more concerned at the walk thru with the mechanical operation of things. We were advised last minute that if you are not familar with lighting a pilot light not to use the oven. The tv antenna was inop. The windshield wipers needed replacing which I was reimbursed for. I expected some compensation since I was not able to use the motor home as it was intended to be used. My husband paid $2,000 for a week and this motor home was ridden hard for being relatively new. Besides being very dissapointed, there was several safety issues that were compromised. I would like to be refunded in full, if not punitive damages. I believe this is a case for small claims court. Do you think I have a case and if so, what would be the legal terms of the grounds for this suit? Thanx in advance.

shortbus

You can't get a full refund. You can't get punitive damages. You took the RV despite its flaws and used it for a week, so you got some value out of the transaction. You can claim for the difference between what you paid and the value of the RV you got.

hotflash

State of Florida

Unfortunately, when I accepted the motor home I did not know about all the flaws. They only showed up when driving down the road.ie...It's a 30 amp mototr home...apparently the airconditioner when driving down the road with the compressor going on and off for the middle and rear AC operated off the generator was fine (except rear AC never worked) until something else was plugged in or the TV was turned on because one small thing overloaded the system. Choice..AC with nine soles onboard ,or kids watching TV or listenening to CD players or watching DVD? Which would you choose with outside temp at 90 degrees? Didn't know jack was going to come down on the road. therefor did not have use of slideout. Point is I didn't know about any of these flaws when I accepted it or I would not have rented it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">