• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gift_girl

We own a gift company and we create gifts for personal and corporate customers. We are in CT.
About a month ago we were contacted by a national company out of state to propose gifts for a small meeting for a group of employees. After numerous proposals they settled on a gift that included many items we do not carry. This was all special order. We explained that to the contact. We faxed over a contract specifically stating what was to be in the gifts, hen they would be shipped, the total amount due which included shipping. The contract states that the buyer understands once the signed contract and deposit are received by the seller a cancellation of order will result in forfeiture of the deposit. There is then a signature line for the authorized buyer of the said company.
Contract was faxed back to us signed, dated and a credit card number was given to charge for the deposit. We charged the card and ordered the merchandise. 2 days later I received an email stating that they want to cancel the gifts due to budget cuts. I emailed her telling her I would cancel but she forfeited the deposit per the contract. She called me and proceeded to tell me she was not authorized to buy and she only assumed she was because she had done it before. Her boss said no, and she is surpised I won;t just give her the deposit back.
I've checked into the three day cooling off laws as best I could and it appears that they don;t appply to her for numerous reasons. (This was for a business, we did not solicit her, there was a clear policy stated about cancellations.)
Any thoughts? I can't sell this stuff and I can't return it.
Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">