• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract-MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meridian1

I am a homeowner in MA. I recently contracted a company to buy install carpet in two rooms. I paid 50% of total cost when the contact was written. The installation dates were specified on the contract.
Lot's of phone calls trying to verify that they would be at my house on the specified date. Getting the runaround. They did not show up.

A week later thet came and installed the carpet. I could not move any of my furniture into the bedrooms and had to sleep in my basement for a week. i did not pay the balance, offered half of it. They would not accept and are now taking me to court.

Since the date was written into the contact this was a breach of contract, correct?

M

meridian1

Breach of contract

Thank you for your quick response.

Should I negotiate with them directly or with their lawyer, or should I wait until the court date to negotiate.

If I do it before the court date I imagine I would do it in writing.

What excatly do you mean by counterclaim? File it at the same court that they filed their claim.

HomeGuru said:
You are correct so now it is negotiation time and time to file a counterclaim.

HomeGuru

Youi can try talking directly to them but they may refer you to their attorney. If that happens, you need to talk to the attorney.
A counter claim is your claims against the contractor and is usually filed at the same time that you file your answer to their Complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">