• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract? Need Advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wondering1975

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi, I was looking for a little advice. Here's my situation. I signed a contract with a Limousine company for a 4 hour ride for my wedding day. The total came to $400 with a $100 downpayment. I gave them the $100 down payment when I signed the contract. They were supposed to pick me up at my house at 3pm, take me to the church for my 4pm wedding, wait for me and then take my wedding party to go get pictures done and then to the reception site. So we would have this limo until 7pm. Here is what really happened.....

The day of my wedding....3 pm rolls around and NO LIMO. We waited until about 3:10 and then we called the company wondering where the limo was. We were put on hold for a few minutes and then they came back on and said that the driver is in progress and should be there momentarily. Well, 10 minutes later still NO LIMO. So we called again and the company said that the guy was on a certain street (which was about 5 minutes away from us) and would be there. So 5 minutes later...NO LIMO. So we decided to all get into our Honda and get to the church. The church was about 15 minutes away and we figured we would pass the LIMO driver on the way. Well we didn't even see him! (Later on, we heard from other neighbors that there was a limo that passed our street around 3:45).

Got to the church at 3:45 or so, with minutes to spare until I had to walk down the aisle. Had the wedding from 4-4:50 and then went back into the waiting room to let the crowd leave. Guess who is sitting out front? The Limo! He tells us that he was never given directions to my house! That was his answer! We said "Well your not getting payed tonight!" And he said "I don't blame you." So he takes us to our picture location. We take pictures for about 45 mins then he takes us to our reception site about 30 mins away. Then that was that.

So we must have used this limousine for less than 2 hours.

Here is my dilemma. They automatically charged my credit card the remaining $400 after the wedding. We called the limo company and explained the situation. They told us that they would take it off the credit card and give us a full refund, not including the downpayment. Needless to say we were thrilled. Well, now almost 8 months later....they never gave us a credit. So we have tried to get some answers as to what was going on. When we call the company, the person we speak with tells us that the person who promised us the refund is no longer with the company. So we have tried to reason with this new guy and he claims that we shouldn't get anything back because we "used the limo". He also said that if we tried to sue him, we wouldn't get anywhere because we "used the limo" that night. So we are trying to get something back and he isn't budging. My husband wants to try to settle on a $100 refund. I'm not sure where to go from here.

My question is was this a breach of contract? Are we entited to anything? Where should I go from here? Should I contact the BBB?

Thank you in advance for reading and trying to help.

djohnson

I would probably contact the BBB. Your best shot shot has probably already passes. You could have disputed the charges on your credit card and had them taken off. You have to do that it a certain period of time that has unfortunately already passed for you. Your contracts are going to be your word against his and you both have valid points. I think a percentage credit back should be given. If they are unwilling to do that then I would take my chances in small claims court for the whole amount. You have nothing really to lose by trying it. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">