• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract - please help ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

usa99

What is the name of your state? California

I got a judgment from a small claim court several years ago. I assigned a collection agency "ABC" to collect the judgment.

After more than one year, I have not heard anything from them eventhough I tried to contact them. Then, I received a mail from another collection agency "XYZ" to handle the judgment.

I signed the contract with the second agency "XYZ" assuming that my contract with the first agency "ABC" had been expired.

"XYZ" told me that they found the asset but could not get the money because I still have a contract with the first agency.

"XYZ" told me to file a motion to get the judgement back to me. They even helped me to fill out the form.

The court refused to give the judgement back to me because in my first contract with "ABC", there was no expiration date. This is happened almost 1 year ago.

A week ago, "XYZ" sued me in small claim court for breach of contract. I signed a contract with "XYZ" stated that I still own the judgement.

Now, I know that I was wrong to give the judgement to "XYZ" without checking the status of my first contract.

Q: Legally, is it still a breach of contract because "XYZ" knew it even helped me to file a motion to get the judgement back to me? They seemed ok when they helped me to file the motion but now sue me because I could not get the judgement back after 1 year.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">