• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of contract suit worthwhile????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackrichone

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I rent a boat slip at a marina that was supposed to cost me $3,200 this year. Several months ago, I sent the required $500 deposit to the marina manager who has since retired. The check was never actually cashed. Several weeks ago, I received a call from the marina owner who informed me that my rental would be increasing to $4,000 for this year. At first, I declined and the owner voided my $500 deposit check and returned it to me. I, subsequently, decided to stay at the marina and sent the required $2,000 deposit. I have since misplaced or destroyed the check and the original contract I had with the marina.

Now I have been asked by several of the renters to join in a breach of contract suit against the owner. They have already discussed the case with a lawyer who will be charging $250 per hour to handle it.

Question 1: Is there any hope of winning a breach of contract suit since the owner received but never actually cashed the $500 deposit check?

Question 2: Since I no longer have the check or contract as evidence, and have, since, signed a new rental agreement should I waste my time participating in the suit?

Question 3: At the moment, only ten or fifteen renters are participating and the lawyer is charging $250 per hour. Even if the case is won, I will only save a few hundred dollars. Should I bother?

Your opinion please.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">