• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of purebred cat sale contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lsheldon

My husband and I live in Connecticut. 2 weeks ago we purchased a Bengal kitten from a breeder in New Jersey for $850. In the contract of sale there is a guarentee against congenital defects and also a 72 hour "general health guarentee". The kitten has been very ill since the day we brought her home. The veterinary bills have already cost $800 and the cat will be hospitalized again tomorrow. We expect the vet bills to easily reach over $1,000. The breeder has not responded to any of our numerous attempts to contact her. My questions are: can we sue for this? If so, would it be small claims? Would the suit have to take place in CT or in NJ? Would we be able to sue just for the cost of the cat or for the vet bills as well? Thanks.

HomeGuru

My husband and I live in Connecticut. 2 weeks ago we purchased a Bengal kitten from a breeder in New Jersey for $850. In the contract of sale there is a guarentee against congenital defects and also a 72 hour "general health guarentee". The kitten has been very ill since the day we brought her home. The veterinary bills have already cost $800 and the cat will be hospitalized again tomorrow. We expect the vet bills to easily reach over $1,000. The breeder has not responded to any of our numerous attempts to contact her. My questions are: can we sue for this? If so, would it be small claims? Would the suit have to take place in CT or in NJ? Would we be able to sue just for the cost of the cat or for the vet bills as well? Thanks.
**A: yes you can sue in small claims in CN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">