• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

artmenace

What is the name of your state? NJ

I'm a single mother of 2, engaged with man for 5 1/2 yrs, made plans to move from FL to NJ. Fiancee gave me money to get an apt, put things in storage, find job and get him one as well, that he would meet us here in 3 weeks after his quarter at work was over. That was 4 months ago and until yesterday, he had valid excuses for not being here. I found out all excuses were lies. He is a con man. I don't know who this guy is!
He told me he is not coming now, offering no valid reason, other than he is afraid.
I uprooted children from school, got an apt I can NOT afford on my own because he said he would pay it, has been sending money for rent until now and now I can not pay it. My entire family is involved since he told them all he'd be here up until last night. Can I sue this man for breaching a verbal contract with me? I have witnesses, receipts of all money he sent, and even his words on paper.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Courts will not enforce your foolishness in your love life. You failed to protect yourself, and went half-cocked into this "arrangement" without any guarantees or "fall back."

It's over - - and next time, start making decisions using your brain and not your heart.

IAAL

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Writer: Engaged for 5 1/2 years yet the man is unknown to you.
Like Sir Paul sang....."I'm not half the man I used to be......"

A

artmenace

What is a contract?
A contract is an agreement between two or more persons (individuals, businesses, organizations or government agencies) to do, or to refrain from doing, a particular thing in exchange for something of value. Contracts generally can be written, using formal or informal terms, or entirely verbal. If one side fails to live up to his/her/its part of the bargain, there's a "breach" and certain remedies for solving the differences are available. The terms of the contract - the who, what, where, when, and how of the agreement - define the binding promises of each party to the contract.

This man works for the Sheriff's Dept, an "upright" citizen of the community who involved my entire family in helping him move here with us, sending his resume, letter of recommendations, etc. I have paperwork we have together, both of us signed at realtors office's & realtors still call me to find out what is going on with him. We got credit histories pulled together and were approved for a mortgage. The storage is in HIS name, waiting with his things in it. He even gave me his credit card number to purchase furnishings.

When you are with someone you love and trust for this long, someone who NEVER gave a clue or hint that he would back out on you, never offering room for doubt, that is trust.
And when the same person offers you comfort and stability always ensuring he will be there as promised, that is trust.
Where ther is love, there is always trust.
Of course I thought with my heart, why wouldn't I? He NEVER failed us in anything.
Monica Lewinski thought with her heart too but I invested a lot more than she did, more money, more time and there are of course children involved, who are suffering needlessly in the hands of a man we all trusted.

As far as protecting myself, that is for people who go into it doubting things from the beginning. I didn't have to do that. This was going to be my husband, father of my children.
What you said was everyone should think with their brains and not their hearts. If that was the case, then there would be no marriages, no weddings, no promises. I've been contacted by attorney who say there was a case a long time ago similar to mine but not involving children.
I appreciate your legal advice only, and only IF you are an attorney.
Your personal opinions are your own and should remain there with you.

HomeGuru

Thanks for the Sunday sermon.
I trust he won't be coming because he got himself a younger, prettier girlfriend with no kids.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Boy, have you got a lot to learn!

You didn't have a contract. And, besides, unless there's a "writing" concerning your "contract", it will probably fail due to the "statute of frauds" - - ah, you didn't know about THAT, did you?

However, for only being in New Jersey for a short time, it hasn't taken you very long to get "the attitude." Very good, young lady!

IAAL

P.S. Click on my profile button.

A

artmenace

HOME GURU

Is that what you think younger and prettier are?
Someone without kids? You have something against older, unattractive women with children?

You don't even know me or know what I look like.
But if you did, you would want to.

Why do you insult someone you do not know?

You know why I am on here, everyone on this forum knows.
I am not an attorney, nor do I profess to be. I am trying to get legal advice from a PROFESSIONAL. Obviously, this is not you. You attacked me for no reason at all.

My excuse for ignorance is obvious. I fell in love with the wrong man and women do it everyday. I won't apologize for that.
But where is your excuse?
You portrayed yourself to be exactly what you are. A jerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">