• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking contract with local handyman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kirlar

What is the name of your state?Iowa

I recently entered into an agreement with a local handyman to redo my sidewalk for about $300. I gave him a monetary retainer as a promise for him to do the work during the week of June 20. I agreed to this time as he told me he was going out of town for another job. Well, he has not left town as he lives across the street and I see him at home as various times of the day. I have called him (left messages as no one answers the phone) to see if he can do my sidewalk sooner since he is at home and not doing another job as he indicated. I haven't heard anything back. In the meantime my finace and neighbor have decided that they can probably tackle the sidewalk on their own and can do it as soon as I give them the go ahead. I would really like the sidewalk done sooner than later. Can I break my contract with the handyman? I realize I may lose my retainer fee, but I want to know about another obligations I may have. Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">