• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking an Unfavorable Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mark McNally

My condominium currently has an unfavorable contract with a vendor that expires in 5 years. The vendor has performed all the necessary parts of the contract (providing washing machines / dryers); however, my condominium now wants to outright purchase the washing machines, thus eliminating the need for the service.

With 5 years left in the contract, can it be terminated by my condominium? The contract does not call for any early termination fee; however, it does state the vendor can take the necessary "remedies under the law".

Given there are 5 years left on the contract and the vendor makes approximately $5,000 annually, is the vendor entitled to $25,000 if we break the contract. Is there a general rule of accepted percentage of future earnings lost that is paid out when a contract is broken?

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Mark

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">