• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breech in Privacy Agreement?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagobrowns

Illinois and Ohio

Last week I had to change my number because I didn't feel safe having a particular individual having it. After I changed it, I gave my new number to two people, neither of them knew this other guy nor did he have a way to contact or know them. Within 23 hours of the number change, I started receiving calls from a blocked number (I set up my phone to send his calls straight to voicemail) as well as text messages from him. There are only two ways he got this number. 1. Through a friend/connection he has at my phone carrier. 2. By convincing a rep to give him my new number (possibly by using his insurance license number and lying about why he needed to contact me). Regardless, him having access to my account information is a huge security threat to myself and my family. I asked a friend that works for a 3rd party seller about what happens when he gets access to an account and he said that my main carrier has records of everytime he or any othe 3rd party accesses an account. But he needs my password or social to get into my account. So I'm assuming it was an actual direct rep for my carrier that helped him get my new number. I have yet to contact my carrier about this as I want legal advice before raising any flags with them. If they have records of someone accessing my account that wasn't granted access to it by myself, is this grounds for a lawsuit?

Proserpina

Illinois and Ohio

Last week I had to change my number because I didn't feel safe having a particular individual having it. After I changed it, I gave my new number to two people, neither of them knew this other guy nor did he have a way to contact or know them. Within 23 hours of the number change, I started receiving calls from a blocked number (I set up my phone to send his calls straight to voicemail) as well as text messages from him. There are only two ways he got this number. 1. Through a friend/connection he has at my phone carrier. 2. By convincing a rep to give him my new number (possibly by using his insurance license number and lying about why he needed to contact me). Regardless, him having access to my account information is a huge security threat to myself and my family. I asked a friend that works for a 3rd party seller about what happens when he gets access to an account and he said that my main carrier has records of everytime he or any othe 3rd party accesses an account. But he needs my password or social to get into my account. So I'm assuming it was an actual direct rep for my carrier that helped him get my new number. I have yet to contact my carrier about this as I want legal advice before raising any flags with them. If they have records of someone accessing my account that wasn't granted access to it by myself, is this grounds for a lawsuit?

No.

(Simple answer)

chicagobrowns

I understand that would be difficult, however, if they have records showing my account being accessed by a rep that wasn't given permission by me....

Proserpina

I understand that would be difficult, however, if they have records showing my account being accessed by a rep that wasn't given permission by me....

How do you expect to obtain those records?

I'm not being argumentative - I'm trying to point out that you have no damages, and no case.

Go with a different phone carrier.

jiggy78

Have you reported the harassment to the police?

How is somebody having your number a "huge security threat"? If this is a "huge security threat", have you notified the police?

chicagobrowns

My new number was not linked to any social network, and my account settings are set so no one can view my profile or friends unless I accept them. Also, the safety more relates to my personal information that is on my account.

You Are Guilty

Unless you paid extra for the service, your phone number is not "private".

In any event, why not just call your carrier, advise them of the situation, and change your number again, this time to a private, unlisted one?

Silverplum

Illinois and Ohio

Does the particular individual have your social security number? Could he? Did you previously live together?

chicagobrowns

No he didnt have my social, not even my last name. If the privacy agreement states they wont give my number or other private info to anyone, how can that break that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">