• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breech of verbal contract, or...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ODUSwede

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I posted this question over in the employment forum, but I figured I'd post it here too, for good measures. Here it goes:

I was told today that I am being let go even though my supervisor had verbally promised that I was going to continue my employ through (at a minimum) next summer, or longer if I so desired.

The reason I am being let go is that the company was going through hiring interviews for another position (same as mine) and at the end they had two viable candidates and they want to hire both. My position was not the position posted, and therefore I did not go through the hiring process like the other two candidates.

Even though Arizona is a right-to-work state, doesn't the employer's verbal agreement to me take precendence over the right to work statutes? And as my supervisor, doesn't her promise to me imply authority of the employing organization for a verbal contract between them and me?

The reason for (and scope of) the promise was that I am not able to work full time, though I have managed to handle the same amount of work as the full-time employees. As of September I will be able to work full-time, and I was promised my part-time employment until I was able to work full-time, after which point I would automatically be rehired as a full-time employee.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">