• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broadband Bait & Switch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cable Guy

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I live in a rural area and cable is my only choice for broadband. I called them and they wanted $55/mo, so I declined; too expensive.

I then was contacted by a door-to-door saleswoman who works for that cable co., and she offered me the service for $40/mo, so I accepted. I bought a cable modem, service was installed, I cancelled my 2nd phone line and old net provider, no problem. Then the bill came: $55. There was no miscommunication with the saleswoman. I have her price list with the $40 price on it, and she had explained to me that she was authorized to give better deals than one would get by calling directly. I have a friend who got the same bait & switch from the same saleswoman.

I called the cable co. & told my story to the manager, who just kept repeating "that deal is no longer offered". It seems to me I have a contract and they're in breach. (The saleswoman apparently doesn't work for them anymore; I suspect she may have been fired over this, but I don't know that.) Should I report them to the DA for fraud? I'm baffled that they won't make good. I refuse to pay the higher rate, and if I cancel, I'm out $100 for the equipment I bought and restarting my old services. What are my options?

Thanks,
John

stephenk

take the cable company to small claims court for the $15 difference. every month they don't lower the price, take them to court. you will win the difference plus your court fees. After a couple of times, you will get the lower price.

Cable Guy

I don't have a written contract, but it seems to me that the we had a legal contract since she gave me a price & I agreed to pay it, and I have written evidence of that price.

To take them to small claims court, I would have to pay the higher price & sue them to get the difference back. Wouldn't paying the full price ruin my case? Couldn't they claim that I "agreed" to the higher price by paying it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">