• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Docholiday02

Nevada
I have a question on international law or contractual law? A Korean Lady and her husband asked my wife to provide room & board and care for their daughter while
she studied English for a year in the Las Vegas area, for a certain amount of money.

We spent over 300-hour’s researching schools in the area plus IRS rules dealing with foreign students. We agreed to pay school tuition at a private school, which we did. We had additional expenses in that we had to buy furniture for her room and provide daily transportation to and from school. They sent the agreed upon money ahead. Which was used to defer the cost of setting up the house and room for their daughter. The Child and her mother came and spent two weeks living in our home. We paid all expenses for the two weeks they were here. Then at the last minute the mother said she taking her daughter back to Korea with her? What! Why no reason was given she did not talk to us about it or anything. Once she returns to Korea she calls and tells my wife she wants her money back. Well we did not have the money to giver her because of using it to set up the homestay program for her daughter. We did not have any kind of written contract with these people. My wife asked her what did we do wrong, and she could not answer.
So now this woman is asking that we send them a letter stating that we owe her the money. Which I don’t agree with! Because, she broke the contract and made the decision to taker her daughter home. It was not based on wrong doingg on our part. Should we send her the letterthat she’s requesting? What could she do with it if we did give it to her?
Now she said she wants to send her daughter back, along with two more children, but she needs the paper to convince her husband to send the daughter back. I think she just trying to get something in writing to use against us? Do you thing we should give her the letter? If not why not?

Last edited:

djohnson

I can't give you a legal opinion on this because I do not know. My instinct tells me that I would not send her anything. Even if she had to convince her husband it's no guarantee she will be sending her daughter back as she may be unsuccessful and have documentation that you owe her money. If there was no agreement to return if she changed her mind, and it was spent doing what was necessary to have the daughter there. I would have no problem keeping and not sending her anything. Ofcourse remember mine is not legal advice just what I would do in your place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">