• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken non-serviceable part

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

occecid

Pennsylvania
Is an equipment manufacturer responsible for using non-serviceable parts?

About 17 years ago, I purchased a John Deere yard tractor with a mower and snow plow. I followed service requirements explicitly and replaced parts due to ordinary wear and tear. The engine, mower, snowplow, and all other serviceable parts are still in good running condition. However, the "sealed" transmission will no longer operate. The dealer related that if I had drilled a hole in the transmission case to allow the addition of lubricant, the unit would probably still be working fine as is the rest of the tractor.

I feel that the manufacturer was negligent by 1) not installing a serviceable part; 2) by not issuing a service bulletin describing the problem and recommending a remedy.

The repair cost, $700.00, could have been totally avoided by the installation or provision for lubrication.

djohnson

You bought it with it not being a serviceable part. It would be up to you to know what you were purchasing. It could have been built with a lot of things that would make it better but it wasn't and you bought it anyway. 17 years is a very long time to try to complain now. I think you should just pay it and be happy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">