• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilliepad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas I signed a loan with my son and daugher in law and they will not make the payments I am having to and they wont pay the property tax or insurance. I was told that I cannot sell this property without their signatures since it is in "and" for all 3 of us. Is there anything I can do to get out of this or to get them to pay or sell it to me?

swalsh411

So you're making the payments and once it's paid off it's joint ownership? Sounds like a sweet deal. (for them)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am asking is there a law in regards to this or if anything legally can be done.
Sure there is - see my prior posts.

Beyond that, this matter would be covered by the agreement (written) that you have with your co-owners.

Mass_Shyster

The legal recourse is to file a petition to partition. In short, you ask the court to auction off the property and the proceeds are divided among the owners.

I can't say about Arkansas, but the partitions I'm aware of took years to complete and netted very little if anything after the legal fees were done.

As others have said, you can simply stop paying and let the bank foreclose. Or stop paying the taxes and let the town/city/county take the property for unpaid taxes.

Another remedy is to file for bankruptcy and have the bankruptcy court discharge your obligation for the loan.

lilliepad

buyer

So you're making the payments and once it's paid off it's joint ownership? Sounds like a sweet deal. (for them)
yes it is a sweet deal especially with me having to make all the payments but I am going to try and stop that sweetness going on!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
yes it is a sweet deal especially with me having to make all the payments but I am going to try and stop that sweetness going on!
Slow down there - what did your written agreement state would happen with regard to payments?

lilliepad

buyer

The legal recourse is to file a petition to partition. In short, you ask the court to auction off the property and the proceeds are divided among the owners.

I can't say about Arkansas, but the partitions I'm aware of took years to complete and netted very little if anything after the legal fees were done.

As others have said, you can simply stop paying and let the bank foreclose. Or stop paying the taxes and let the town/city/county take the property for unpaid taxes.

Another remedy is to file for bankruptcy and have the bankruptcy court discharge your obligation for the loan.
If one party in this agreement files bankruptcy will the other two be responsible for the loan as well or will it be completely discharged and can the bank come after me for the money

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">