• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buyer lost the title and there is no bill of sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grd

California: I sold my motorcycle and deposited the cash then the buyer called and said he has lost the title. He likes the idea of waiting for a new title to do everything over and not a least concerned about not having a bill of sales. I tried to leverage my cooperation to get the bill of sales form filled out, but he seems to want to wait. I'm sure he wouldn't agree when he can have the bike for at least 3 weeks until I get a replacement title. And the transfer of liability and notifying the DMV of sales does not protect me against any trouble he might get into. If I want to have faith in humanity and stay positive, I can ask him to help fill out paperwork, yet I'm not sure what he loses if I don't help out. He said yes to completing the bill of sales, which helps me prove that I have sold the vehicle and remove liability, however I was thinking of asking for the bike, which puts me at disadvantage as he could say the same thing after three weeks of riding when we have to do everything over. Given that I would like to resolve the issue sooner and in order to put pressure on him, what if I told him that I would want the bike to be returned? Could he get sued with the bike which is under my name? What could I do to make him release me from the liability? I'm wondering what his endgame is. Is he skipping title (in which case I would not want to help out at all) or just simply want to renegotiate when a new title arrives?
Thank you

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">